Thursday, October 25, 2007

All By My Lonesome!

Did I ever tell you people that it was my birthday a few weeks ago? Actually, it was a month ago. September 26th. Jeff asked if I wanted a spa day, a fancy dinner out, NEW SHOES (!!), blah blah blah... Thanks, but no. What did I want? A day off. Completely. A full 24 hours to park my fat ass on the sofa and watch TV. A shut-up-and-leave-me-the-hell-alone type of day.

Yes, that request was made a month ago. What did I get? Lilies. Lots & lots of lilies. My very favourite flower. Beautiful, yes. Peaceful? Sure... but only if I were ALONE with them.

And then? Three weeks ago? My inlaws came to visit from Mobile, Alabama. (Can you believe they STILL don't recycle there??!!) And they rented a cottage. TWO HOURS NORTH OF OUR HOUSE. Again, as I think I've mentioned, I'm not sure why exactly they chose to come and visit us, yet stay so very far away - but whatever. The outcome is the same. Visits, hugs, and temporary home in the country.

IMG_4384

And the view of the "mountains" from the front door:

P1030214

C'mon, people. It's still Ontario - were you really expecting Whistler?

Anyhow...

It's been three years - THREE YEARS! - since I've been completely and totally alone. Till Wednesday night. And Thursday. And again on Friday. And now, even part of today!! That's right people - Jeff and children folk have left the building! And, bonus - I didn't even have to kick them out!

Yes, people of the Internet. Jeff took the kids up to the cottage for the weekend.

AND I STAYED HOME!!!!!!!

His sister, Lisa, came in from Atlanta yesterday afternoon, and after dinner they took my truck and all headed up north. WITHOUT ME. I guess, by now, you get that point, huh?

Weird? Yes. 20 minutes after they left I called Jeff, just to tell him how errily quiet the house was. 5 minutes after that, I was enjoying a class of red wine, lying on the sofa, reading my People magazine. Cuz the only show I watch these days is Desperate Housewives and sadly it's not Sunday. (Although the only OTHER show I watch, The Office, so I get to see it to! At it's originally aired date & time! That NEVER happens!)

Now the remainder of this post is pretty much for my mother. Cuz she always thinks of "cottages" as wooden shacks. So whenever you invite her up to one, she shudders with thoughts of dock spiders and no A/C. Plus she dresses for the winter, even if it's during a heat wave in the city... Reason being? It's colder in the NORTH. That, and there's often complaints of impending nose bleeds, what with with elevation and all.

So, just to show her cottage life isn't ALWAYS so rough, here is my little video-tour.

This is the living room & main floor bedroom:


Untitled from doublea on Vimeo.

And the basement: (I already showed you pictures of the upstairs bedrooms a few posts ago...)


Untitled from doublea on Vimeo.

Ummm... is it really bad that I don't yet miss my family yet? I know I only asked for 24 hours off, and I got about 55, but truly? I could use a full week. My kids are crazy, my husband is a clean freak, and quite frankly, I'm really enjoying the peace & quiet. Is that so bad?

7 comments:

Barbara said...

It's a very nice house, but it's NOT a cottage!!! A cottage has a slinding glass door that you can walk out of and fall into Lake Joe in Muskoka.
BB

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mother. That is definitely NOT a cottage.
MG-K
P.S. Think of all the gossiping they did about you while you were relaxing at home!!!

my4kids said...

I agree not really a cottage. Your moms description sounds like my house although you could fall (if you go a couple feet) into the ocean.

So freakin jealous you have 55 hours to yourself!! The closest I have had to that is womens weekend things with church and those weren't 55 hours and I was with a bunch of women doing church stuff. Sitting on the couching having a drink in quiet....sounds awesome...

Barbara said...

I like my4kids's house, you live in Alaska just steps from the ocean, OMG, and I never do the OMG, but OMG!!!!!!!!! How breathtaking the view from your window must be!!
BB

Anonymous said...

That is NOT a cottage. Dear God, that's not a cottage :) It looks beautiful.

It's not bad that you don't miss the family. Getting time for you is something you need and deserve. I? Am jealous :)

Anonymous said...

55 hours? Swoon!!!! Man, I'm so jealous!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I am sooooo jealous of your "me" time!