Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Selling, Selling,... SOLD!!! (but not to me)

So I've decided to try to get a little more serious about this whole photography thing that I do. I dunno... some people seem to think I'm pretty good at it, and others think I should do more to help the family out financially. Whichever, it's not like I'm gonna get rich taking photos of peoples' kids. But pocket change would be nice. And nice makes me smile. And, in the words of my very wise daughter, "it's fun to smile."

And in the tradition of me being me, a new venture correlates nicely with a reason to shop! Cuz clearly, what kind of photography could I ever hope to be without more photography stuff? C'mon people... I need gear! Gear is fun! And fun makes me smile! And Christ, my parents spent a bloody fortune on 6-plus years of braces so I should have a bee-u-ta-ful smile. And I do. So I should show it off. Ultimately, I'm buying gear to make Bubbie Barbara proud of her investment.

But I'm still responsible. So I decided used gear is okay. Like the tripod. It's just a stand, I hardly need a new one. But a good one would be nice... After all, Jeff is always telling me not to waste my money (errr, his money) on crap.

So I look in Ebay for a used Manfrotto trip. Cuz how can I ever expect to take TACK SHARP photos without a Manfrotto???!!! C'mon people. Really.

Sure enough, I find one. And it's in Toronto! (Other than Manfrotto, that was my other criteria... I'm not paying for shipping a bloody tripod from the States! Or hell, even from Barrie.)

So I write the guy...

Alissa:
Hello, I was wondering whereabouts in Toronto you are located for pick-up? Thanks.

Ebay Guy:
Counting that you are saving $90+tax from the original price in the store now, and get a BONUS of 34.95+tax in the shape of the included original Manfrotto Shoulder Bag my guess will be a cab! THX

To which I respond... (cuz, uhhh... this cab ride he's signing me up for could cost anywhere between $10 and $300 depending on WHERE IN THE VERY BIG CITY HE IS LOCATED.)

Alissa:
Seriously... whereabouts are you located? I’m in the Central GTA.

Ebay Guy:
No you can't come and pick-up anything, please make sure you are the Winning Bidder on this auction first! Instead of my whereabouts wouldn't you suppose to be worried about the outcome of the auction?! THX

Alissa:
I need to know if I should bother trying to win the auction or not. If you're not conveniently located, I'm not going to bid.

All I am asking for is an intersection. What's the big deal?

Ebay Guy:
Don't bother at all I'll put you on the Blocked Bidder list! THX

===========

Uhhh... okay.

Jeff thinks I encouraged this type of response, as my language to him was "CAUSTIC".

I think I started off asking a very simple question... Where are you located? How is this CAUSTIC???

Turns out, however, that this was a good thing cuz I've since decided to first get an external flash.

Anyone selling a used Canon Speedlight 430EX?

I'll be nice.

Really, I will.

And if not, I'll at least pay you for it.

7 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

What the heck??? That guy was a jerk! There's nothing wrong with asking the whereabouts of someone putting something up for auction. And if he's really that paranoid, why didn't he suggest charging you $5 and meeting you somewhere or something?

I'm glad you didn't bid...he doesn't deserve your money!

my4kids said...

If anyone was caustic it was him to begine with! His original repsonse was rude!
I agree with the above! He doesn't deserve your money!!

Julie said...

That's really odd - he should be willing to answer any questions you have prior to bidding.

Barbara said...

What's his name, you may be blocked, but I'm not. No one talks to my "Investment" like that.

BB

Mir said...

HA! Too funny. I'm looking for a camera as well, but I'm thinking of going with the Nikon.

Also, I was un-friended!! LOL. It actually made me laugh really hard because, really. It's the "adult" equivalent of "you're not my friend anymore."

And, also, sniff and frowny face.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a freak!!!! Is your ebay user name something like psycho_killer or I_eat_human_brains02?

And I agree with Emma, smiling is fun.

You know what else is fun? Watching Brad Pitt bathe in chocolate. However, I never get to do that.

Oh, and about your comment on my blog? We do have a TV in our bedroom. We were researching beds & breakfasts and the one we liked didn't have a TV in the room, so we crossed it off our list.

Emma in Canada said...

What an eejit. Freaking men.

Oh and I posted. Just for you.