Yesterday morning I dropped Emma off at preschool, and before I had a chance to leave, the Director of the school called me into her office to have a 'chat'. (Swear to God, it was like being called into the Principal's office. Oh.. I suppose I was.) Anyhow, I was pretty positive she wasn't going to tell me that Emma has been a badass or anything, but you never know. (I did see her oh-so subtly kick Neferty during circle time that one day... but hell, Neferty is probably the most annoying 3-year-old I've ever seen. Half the time I want to kick her too. And her paretns? Should really clip her damn nails already. Or at least file & polish them.)
So yeah. As I was saying... Turns out come January, a new wave of kids are coming into the school, kids that have just turned 2 1/2 - the age you must be to enrol. That being the case, Emma will end up being one of the two oldest kids in her group - the 'red group'.
The Director called me in to suggest that perhaps I move Emma into the Blue Group - a slightly older group, where the majority of kids are just older than her. While that's great and all, there are two problems:
1) Most of the kids in this group are boys. And roudy boys at that. Two of them are twins. Now, imagine two boy twins - once they get going, they set off the rest of the class. Then it turns into a situation where the teacher isn't teaching, but rather spending all her time trying to rangle the class in.
2) Now #1 may not have even been a huge problems, say for the fact that this particular teacher is fresh out of school and inexperienced. She has zero control and the class knows it. A more experienced teacher could gain the control back before it got out of hand.
3) Emma already has a terrific rapport with her teacher, Lisa. And I really like Lisa too. And Lisa seems to really like Emma.
So I think it's obviously that I'm hesitating about moving her...
But do you think it's really so bad if she's with kids that much younger than her?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
What's the better decision? Keeping her where she is happy and liked or moving into her a class where the kids may not be as nice and she may not be as happy?
I'd leave her where she is.
Amd what sort of preschool is this? Don't they go with the same class umntil June and then start all over again in September?
Dare I ask what your monthly fees are?
I say leave her. When you think about it, in every class one kid has to be older than all the others, and one kid always has to be the youngest.
I was always the youngest because 1) I was born in early September and 2) I skipped a grade.
Although Emma's got a little brother that she's used to sticking up for herself against all the time, I say let her be the oldest in this case, since she's comfortable and happy.
She's a big sister, so it won't be an issue for her to be around slightly younger kids.
But yeah, I'm with Emma. Where are all of the other kids in her class going????
It's just her & one other little boy who are going to be a few months older than the others... he's staying put too.
And the reason why she was given the option is cuz every January they take new kids who have just turned 2.5... (that will be Michael's case next year...)
Don't even worry yourself over this... Keep her where she is...
MG-K
Leave her. Why screw with something that's clearly going so well?
Looks like the jury came back and the verdict is in. As an older and more experienced Mother my advise is now and has always been, "If it's not broken, don't fix it." She's happy, you're happy. Case closed. Why do you think you went to Cliffwood instead of Associated private school, you were happy there, sure it was a shlep for Martine to take you there everyday but there's no way I would have made you change schools! Oh... thank you Martine.
BB
I've been in your situtation, so I'll give you my assvice. Kaylie has always been one of the oldest in her classes because her birthday falls in October. When she was 3, it didn't matter. If Emma is happy where she is and you are happy with her there, then let her stay.
But, I would suggest that when she gets older and is getting ready to begin school, keep in mind that most of her peers in that class (if they stay moving up with her) will be younger and probably not getting ready for school. I noticed that Kaylie was kind of immature for her 5 years old when she was starting Kindergarten. I am attributing that to being around kids younger than her all the time.
Post a Comment