Thursday, August 02, 2007

No Chucking, But A Little Cheese'd

Or, I could have titled this one "The Times, They Are A Changin'" and it would have also been appropriate.

On Saturday night we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner. We including myself, my mother (aka BB), my father, Auntie Lori, Uncle Bill, and Baby Alexandria. Now, we have one location not too far from us, but the neighbourhood is quite, how can I say this nicely? Ghetto? Kinda sorta in a scary way. But not really. Anyhow, that said, this time we decided to go to the "new" Chuck E. Cheese location. In a more suburban-type neighbourhood.

What a mistake!! (Well, kinda sorta... it really wasn't that bad... just, umm.. different.)

My whole reason for wanting to go to this poor kids' paradise was the "show". Cuz, c'mon, if my kids can't get their culture quotient from watching a bunch of large plastic mice dancing on a stage, and popping in & out of doors, and playing guitars, well, really? What kind of stories are they going to have to tell their kids about their youth?

So we arrive.

And OH MY GOD! Chuck E. Cheese has entered the new millenium!!! I should have known. The show? Replaced by a wall of TV's and flashing lights. One large mouse groovin' at the side. No kids break dancing on the floor in front of the stage. In fact, there was no stage.

I would have taken a photo, if only I had this post in mind at the time.

Rather, it was like a giant arcade. TONS of arcade-style video games, and even a huge tubular slide. Some neat rides for the younger set. Okay, fine... all that was cool and Emma & Bill had a fantastic time. Truly. And fine... even the pizza was pretty good.



Untitled from doublea and Vimeo.

And while Emma is all about rides - the bigger, the faster, the better - Michael, it turns out, not so much.



Untitled from doublea and Vimeo.

But like I said, everyone did end up having a very good time...



Untitled from doublea and Vimeo.

I guess I was just disappointed - surprised? - at how much things have changed, and what kids today are all about. Or at least what the design folk at Chuck E. Cheese believe kids are about.

Ehhh... who am I kidding?! Emma is all over the damn video games.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A while ago, we took my nephew. I was a little bummed at how different it was compared to when *I* use to go as a kid.

Tonya said...

I have never been there because obviously it is a US thing but I have heard about it.. sometimes it sucks when things change so much. At least you all had a good time! The second video would not play.. its says its private but the others are cute :)

Happy Working Mom said...

I know what you mean! I really miss the big characters that would all of a sudden "turn on" and start singing and dancing! Now it's just the TVs.

My kids don't know any different, so I guess they aren't scarred in any way :)

my4kids said...

I agree with you. I was disappointed when I first took the kids to chuck e cheese here also although they still have a stage at ours and chuck e still sings although Madison is terrified of him! Like you said though most of the rest of it is video games and the thing I remember most from it was the ball pit....but I don't think they even had any of that kind of stuff here.

Barbara said...

Why is the second movie private? What are you hiding and who are you hiding it from???

BB

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It really has changed so much. I remember how it used to be. Hell, they don't even have a ball pit anymore!!! WTF!

Julie said...

Chunk E. Cheese - as I like to call him - is definately with the digital age now. But the gist of the place is still the same - kid's dream/parent's nightmare. Can you tell how much I "love" to go there?

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Emma in Canada said...

What's with the private video on a public blog? Seriously? WTF?

M said...

Your kids are outrageously adorable.

That said can I bitch about ol' Chuck's too? Because I LOVED the puppet stage, or costumed stage, and all kinds of coolness. I have cousins who constantly have their kids parties at this hell hole and I find that the excessive video games and no stage show is really disappointing.

Yes. I want everything to remain the way it was 20 years ago. Kids stuff was so much cooler back then. No wonder kids are so lame these days. (Oh cod did I just call my kids lame? No. They rule. their idea of 'fun' is lame. Oh cod. I'm old.)

Stacey said...

Our Chuck E. Cheese is still old-school.

No STAGE? I hope there is no remodeling in our future!!