Tuesday, August 07, 2007

More About Me Than You Thought You Wanted To Know

Either after I gave birth to Emma, or sometime during the pregnant - hard to say which - I got this lump on my stomach. Yes, ON my stomach. Actually jutting out of
my stomach. Probably about an inch or so above my bellybutton.

Weird, yes. But for some reason, I didn't really think much of it.

And, apparently neither did Jeff, cuz he never really mentioned it.

We both just assumed Emma kicked me a little too hard when she was in the womb and punctured something or another and now I have this creepy looking tummy. Almost like someone's hand is inside of me, and their knuckle is sticking out.

Anyhow, a little while ago I went swimming at my mother's house. In a bikini. And while I probably have absolutely no business wearing a bikini, I did. (Did I mention that last year I left my tankini behind in the change room at Emma's swimming lesson and that put an abrupt end to all future lessons?) As I was saying... I was wearing this very sexy little number, meant for a much smaller person, one who doesn't have a gynormous fist poking their their belly.

BB: OH MY GOD...!!! ALISSA - YOU HAVE A LUMP!!!!
A: What this? Oh. I've had it for years.
BB: OH MY GOD...!!! THAT'S A LUMP ALISSA!!!!
A: Uhh, you think? I mean, I've had it ever since I was pregnant with Emma...
BB: OH MY GOD...!!! GET THAT LUMP CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY ALISSA!!!!

And it just so happened that last week I had my annual check-up. And this time I actually remembered to ask about the lump. Cuz for the past ALMOST THREE YEARS nobody has mentioned it. Not ever. Not my GP, not my OB-GYN. Nobody has seemed even the slightest bit concerned. Go figure... neither was I.

Guess what?

I have a hernia.

Hmph.

11 comments:

M said...

While I like the fist sticking out concept (come on. where's the pic?!) a hernia doesn't sound terribly amusing. Though 3 years of one must not be too big of a deal. (And dude...somehow I doubt you offend the world in a bikini. Really.)

Barbara said...

I still can't believe you didn't have it looked at earlier.

BB

Anonymous said...

I'm doubting you have no business in a bikini. Seriously.

I admit I was getting a little scared reading this post. I was dreading the end as I didn't want to read anything bad. When I read a hernia? I felt better.

Morgan has a hernia behind her belly button. I push on it, hoping to shove it back in. Want me to push on your's?

Stacey said...

Well, I'm FINALLY back, catching up on your blog!

Will you have to repair the hernia? My OB thinks I have a hernia behind my belly button (too many damn pregnancies!) and I'm wondering what they have to do to fix it!

Julie said...

Wow - well that is better than A LUMP! Right?

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

When I started reading, that's exactly what I was thinking. So, are you gonna have surgery? I've heard it's a pretty tough surgery.

Tonya said...

So you have a hernia and it was not a painful lump? Are they going to repair it or what?

Anonymous said...

I guess the only thing I can say is...I can't believe you have actually had the 'lump' as your mother calls it for as long as you have and have never spoken to anyone about it or anyone noticed it...things that make you go hmmm....

Emma in Canada said...

Well a hernia's not so bad. About a month after Sophie arrived the top half of my belly button popped out. I figured I had a tumour (because that's the sort of person I am) but was too afraid to go to the doctor who would either confirm my diagnosis or tell me I am a fat overweight freak. I could live with a hernia I think.

And I do think it is odd that your OB never noticed. Did she or he not look at you stomach a good 20 times during your pregnancy with Michael?

Anonymous said...

That's mighty crazy! So a hernia doesn't hurt at all, I'm guessing then.

I just know the word, I don't even know what they are or how to cure them.

Can you tell I didn't go to medical school?

Oh, you can? Huh.

my4kids said...

I totally put things like that off also....If it was my kid they'd see a doc right away when I noticed it but me? Nope..