Tuesday, May 15, 2007

In Need Of An Idea

A few days ago I received a wedding invitation from my oldest & dearest friend. Actually, it's more of a marriage celebration invitation because she's already married. Not sure why, but her & her husband got married a year ago, in a private ceremony held at their home, and didn't tell anyone but immediate family. It's not like it was a surprise or anything - hell, they've been together for about 7 years, have two children together, and have beeen engaged since shortly after the first little guy was born.

Whoa... stop the presses! They up & got married!! Who woulda ever seen THAT one coming?! Yeah, like I said... I don't know why it was hush-hush. Anyhow, she finally told me about it in January. SEVEN MONTHS LATER.

But that's neither here nor there. Well, not really.

Back to the point. Internet, I need your help.

Like I said, I just received the invitation. It's a full, proper wedding - with an aisle, a chuppah, a wedding gown, a rabbi, vows, a meal, drinks, in a country club setting... y'know, the works.

The question I have for you, dear Internet, is just what in the hell do I buy them???

She's not registering anywhere, cuz umm... like I said, what is she going to register for?? They've been together forever. They have a house. They have all the stuff that belongs in a house. They don't need a couple hundred dollars from me. Nor do they need a new blender, or a serving bowl.

That leaves me with the "sentimental gift". But sadly I cannot think of one. This may be because I am the least creative person alive.

The wedding is in June. Please help.

14 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

A scrapbook?

Beccy said...

How about something like a day at a spa for you and your friend. Or host a dinner or bbq for them and other close friends in the run up to the wedding, to give them some breathing space.

david santos said...

It places fhoto of Madeleine in your bloggue


Missing Madeleine!
Madeleine, MeCann was abduted from Praia da Luz, Portugal on 03/03/07.

If you have any information about her whereabouts, please contact Crimestoppers on 0800555111 Please Help

Anonymous said...

How about a voucher for a session with a photographer for them (and the children if they want to) and a framed print of it? Something a bit different they could do when they want..

Barbara said...

You do know that the bride reads your blog right? Considering that you've known her from the day you were born (she actually sat on my stomach when I was pregnant with you) why not just ask her what she'd like? She used to like alphagetti when she was little, does that help?

BB

CPA Mom said...

Give money to her favorite charity in their name.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I like cpa mom's idea! I am very creatively challenged so I am not any help at all!

Amy W said...

I am creatively challenged, don't ask me for help! I would just get a gift card and call it a day. Maybe even a gift card for a spa for a couple's massage? See, I am super bad with gift giving...

Anonymous said...

How about a gift certificate to a Home Depot-type place? If they have a house they need something done, unless they're independently wealthy!

Tonya said...

looks like you got some good ideas .. I would have a tough time if it was me as well!!

Bethany said...

I vote Home Depot gift card. You always "need" something from Home Depot.

Barbara said...

I wonder if Martine has any ideas.

BB

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd go the gift card route. Like if she has a favorite store, or a Pottery Barn or Home Depot Type place. Or Best Buy. Everyone always loves electronics.

That Chick Over There said...

I would get them a gift card for a restaurant and offer to babysit!

(Of course that would only work if you live close enough)