Friday, May 18, 2007

Michael is Ten Months Old!

IMG_9054

My oh my... 10 Months Old!! I can't believe it. Seriously. Went by in a jif. What's really freaking me out is that the little guy is going to be one in just two months... and poor thing, he's only got one friend. Yes, in an entire year I have only managed to come up with one friend. And what's really lame about that friend? He just so happens to be Emma's BFF's little brother. Uh-huh... Almost as though Baby Zachary was conceived just to make my life easier.

Here they are, two guys just hanging out in the park:

IMG_9298

What a totally lame-o party this will be. More like lunch. With two little cupcakes. Okay, three. I suppose Emma can have one too. Well... five. Jeff & I are also deserving of a cupcake a piece. I guess we'll get six. An even half dozen. Who's got dibs on that last one?

Bear with me on this series. Solely cuz I think my little guy is ridiculously cute. Feel free to agree. Comments are appreciated. (Have I mentioned that lately?!)

IMG_9110

IMG_9114

IMG_9121

IMG_9123

So yeah. This Michael character. Turns out he's a boy. And not just a little bit of a boy either. He's as boy as boy can be. I mean, we actually have to CHILD PROOF! GAH!! We've never done that before. We never had to. And why, prey tell, must we child proof now? Cuz when I spoke to the plastic surgeon about getting eyes put in the back of my head he said I couldn't afford it.

But seriously? On a daily basis, this is Michael:

1) He totally loves pulling the carbon monoxide detector out of the electrical socket. God help us if there is ever a gas leak cuz chances are Michael is eating the detector and we will all die a relatively slow albeit painless dealth before anyone notices we're even missing.

2) He loves splashing around in the toilet water. Yes, I close the lid. Yes, he opens it. Yes, I close the door. Yes, Emma opens it. And yes, he finds his way to the water.

3) In the master bathroom we have this step-up, sunken bathtub. It used to be nice. It is now my greatest nightmare. Michael is hell-bent on climbing up the step, and leaning over the edge to try to feel the jets. Of course, he leans over much farther than he should and is just destined to fall in one of these days and seriously hurt himself. (Okay... he's fallen in once. He lived.)

4) I don't get it, but he hasn't seemed to figure out that he can't leap off the side of our bed without falling off and either totally freaking himself out, or actually hurting himself. I've actually lost count of just how many times he's attempted to swan dive off in hopes of reaching for some far-away object. If he fails grade 4, this is why.

5) He greatly enjoys eating the dirt out of the many potted plants we have scattered throughout the house. And if he's not actually eating the dirt, he's plenty happy just to throw it on the floor. Or rub it in his hair. That's proven to be fun too.

6) He has tremendous fun spinning the toilet paper from the roll. Okay... I'd have fun doing that too. (Fine... sometimes I let him do it just to see him smile. Or so I can have a peaceful shower. Shhh.. don't tell Jeff!)

So you're reading all this, and are likely asking yourself if I've tried just telling him "NO!". Duh. Of course I have. The little bugger understands "NO!!" perfectly well. It's just that he so happens to find my ever-widening stress-related bald spot particularly amusing.

And now for the milestone moments that nobody other than me cares about:

April 21 - top right front tooth broke through!

April 30 - top left front tooth broke through!

May 1 - bottom, second to the centre left, left tooth broke through!

May 8 - bottom right middle!

May 11 - 7th tooth!!! bottom, second to the centre right!

I think he's gonna need braces. GAH!!

IMG_9548

IMG_9544

Check it out.. Jeff actually let Michael get behind the wheel of his car! Bet that won't happen too much once the little guy is actually legal. And, more importantly, can reach the pedals!

IMG_9284

But look how well he checks behind him before backing out... Very cautious... Emma looks a little worried though, dontcha think? And I look a little wide in the reflection...

IMG_9281

Now that it's summer we're spending the bulk of our time at the park. I actually signed him up for music classes, but - and how horrible is this - we haven't gone back since the very first class. It got so nice outside, and to sit indoors just seems so.. so.. wrong.

Especially since we only get like 17 sunny days a year.

IMG_9250

IMG_9221

P1000807

IMG_9241

The other big thing we're doing these days is using our wagon. Last summer we never did cuz Michael was still an infant, and well, seeing that he couldn't sit up on his own he made it a little tough on Emma, what with demanding she squish in next to him to keep him propped up and all. These days the kids & I are using it all over the neighbourhood. Me, mostly for the exercise. Them, for the ride. And we all seem to prefer it over the nasty double stroller I bought at the garage sale for $30.

So get this... Michael doesn't nap for more than 20 minutes at home. So much as cough and he'll wake up. God help me if I should accidently flush in the middle of the night. But take him on a wagon ride... (Emma, however, that kid can sleep anywhere... Clearly.)

P1000691

Okay, okay... still with me?? She who answers the skills testing question at the end may just win themselves that 6th cupcake... it's likely gonna be chocolate... (yeah, yeah... that's how I make my friends. Food. It works every time.)

Finally, this month my kids are doing what I've been waiting all my life for my kids to do together... BATHING!!!!

P1000778

And if you thought THAT was cute, just get a look at this:






Fun In The Tub! from doublea on Vimeo

Yeah. I know.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been anxiously peeking everyday to see if Michael's 10mos. review was posted, and tonight--"Voila"!! Oh my God--every month gets better, and that little Michael gets cuter by the day. I love that picture of the two of them standing by the bathtub--oh what I wouldn't give to squeeze them right now.
Love Grandma xxoo

Anonymous said...

Grandpa just read the review---and oh is he proud of his grandson with "the million dollar smile"! His comment,"Alissa has such a great talent for writing".

my4kids said...

Oh my I have to agree he is a cutie!
And yes you very clearly have a very boyish boy! I to remember the early childproofing days with the boys but was the opposite I had them first and then with the girls was surprised about what I could get away with with them and not as much childproofing.
I Love the bath clip by the way!!!

Beccy said...

What a cutie pie, he is very sturdy on his feet.

Barbara said...

Can I have the last cupcake? I promise that if invited I will bring him a birthday present too!

BB

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I'm starting to think that Michael and Alyssa have been secretly communicating. She loved (loved and not loves, because I moved them) pulling the dirt out of the plants and eating it. In our old house we had one of those plug in carbon monoxide detectors and she was constantly messing with it!

Luckily, knock on wood, she hasn't figured out how to open the toliet seat yet, but if she should happen to run across one that is open, you can bet that someting will find it's way into it!

She also likes to put things in the garbage can in the bathroom. Toys, soap, the toliet paper holder, etc.

Alyssa will be Michael's friend, becuase he is super cute! Also, the teeth, don't worry about those right now, once the others start to come in the ones he has will change their position and move closer together and straighten up!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I promise his teeth will straighten out too. But damn that kid is cute!!!! Gorgeous! Both of them are, actually.

And here's my uber secret tip for plant tip. Saran Wrap. Looks all nice and white trash, but it works. I just saran wrap the top of the pot around the plant and then tape it with that wide moving tape around the pot. He hasn't touched it since, although he has tried to get through the saran wrap and has failed.

And yeah, boys don't give a hoot about "no." Being laughed at when I use the word was definitely a surprise to me...

And if I still lived in Canada, Little Man and I would love to come to Michael's party, and Little Man would be happy to teach Michael other boy tricks like banging really hard on LCD TV's or screwing up remote controls.

my4kids said...

I came back to look this morning because he is just so cute and I love his laugh! Izzak used to do that to with the scream! Kenzie saw me looking at said Michael is soo cute!

Tonya said...

He is too cute :) Happy 10 months Michael.. that did just fly by .. I swear you were still pregnant last week. I had to LMAO @ the reflection comment because you do look a little wide.. and we all know you're NOT!

I want the invite to party but I will pass on the cupcake.. geez I need to loose some serious weight and get a life.. lol

M said...

Oh my heavens! What a gorgeous post. (The mentioning of food products MEGA bonus. mmmm. sign us up!) But really. Gorgeous and hilarious and fantastic. What a lovely family.

And the series of pics of his face (okay, there were two of them) but the expressions were just gorgeous! What a doll.

I laughed a little too hard at the wagon pic though. I'm sorry for that. :)

Emma in Canada said...

I love the wagon pic and Saoirse just reminded me when she saw the photo that we were supposed to buy that exact one today. It was in the Zellers flyer this week and she has been talking about it non stop. Oddly, she knows your kids names. Either I spend way too much time blogging or you have too many photos up.

Wendy said...

Happy 10 months! I love all the pictures! He is beautiful! He is young, I can say that:)

Anonymous said...

Ok...if this isn't reason to pay off the Canadian government to get me my passport sooner I don't know what is...kids are too cute for words. I miss them terribly!

FYI...love your new haircut too. You always look great.

Can't wait to see everyone soon.

Miss you all-Love Aunt Lisa.
Big Hugs and Kisses

Anonymous said...

So many great pics and videos. He is so cute!
They are so cute.

Marlee