Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Pyramid Scheme. The Early Years.

So there you have it. I've entered my daughter in a Pyramid Scheme. C'mon... don't tell me you DIDN'T contribute $5000 with the hopes of one day receiving a cheque in the mail for $40,000? Really? You didn't? Okay, neither did I. But a shit load of people tried to convince me that it was a super great idea, and I was passing up the opportunity of a lifetime. Even my BFF at the time got pulled in and everyday would tell me about her marvelous new group of female friends. Yeah... a group of women. WOMEN. And of course WOMEN aren't going to screw you over. No. Never. They served cookies and tea at their meetings. They talked and joked. They shared and cared. They took your money. Yeah. Women. Who would have EVER guessed?

In the end, I did get taken for $200. But that I could live with. Probably didn't help that I didn't actively solicit one single person to contribute. Nor did I attend a single meeting... whatever. Meetings. They never have been my thing.

Anyhow, now I've gone and signed Emma up in one of these things. But this one looks promising... Before you flip back to Dooce - my main readership competition these days - just hear me out...

It's a sticker pryamid! How fun! Mail! Stickers! Not bills!
I love mail that isn't bills!

Basically, this is what I received (feel free to copy it and forward it along... or just wait a bit and I'll tell you if anything ever came from it). Or just laugh at me for being the loser that I am.

=============

THE STICKER CLUB

Welcome to the Sticker Club! Please send one packet of stickers to the name listed in Box #1 and Box #2. Move my name to the #1 spot and place your name in the #2 spot. Then send this letter to six (6) friends.

Box #1: Box #2:
Susie Smith Emma
Address Emma's Address

(Side note - the names & addresses are actually in boxes, but I don't know how to do that in blogger - use your imagination, wouldya.)

If you cannot do this within six (6) days, please let me know because it is not fair to those who have participated.

Within two weeks you should receive 42 packets of stickers. It is lots of fun and exciting to see where your stickers come from and it's always nice to get mail.

Good luck and thank you for joining the sticker club!

Your Friend,

(insert your name here...)

P.S. To the Parents: Please take the time to do this project. It's worth seeing the smile on your child's face when they open "their mail". To make this even easier, a blank letter for you to copy and fill in is included.

============

And there you have it. I may be a huge loser, and a pathetic sucker for mail and feelings of popularity, but I'm gonna try to get my daughter 42 packages of free stickers. Cuz that's exactly what she needs.

4 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

Taylor did this in Grade 3 or 3. Didn't receive a single pack of stickers. Granted, I can't remember buying any either. Best of luck to her, you can throw Saoirse on there if you have a lack of 2 year olds.

Emma in Canada said...

Umm...Grade 2 or 3. She didn't do Grade 3 twice I swear.

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive you are doing this...

I already got the letter and promptly threw it out!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Alexandria is too young for the scheme?

Well, I'm not and I'm bored so hell, sign us up!!