Thursday, April 26, 2007

More Facebook Fun


Here I say that I'm completely over Facebook. And it's true, I am. Yet still I am compelled to check it each & every time I get online. I think I've searched for everyone I've ever dated, ever went to school with, ever worked with. Pretty much everyone I've ever known. And some I don't know. Like local TV personalities. And friends of friends I've heard about. And wives of people I've dated. Yeah. I'm kinda creepy like that.

Anyhow, last night I went out. OUT. Like, out of my house. And not just to Loblaws or Chapters. I went out for dinner. With girlfriends. My first time in over two-and-a-half years!! Jeff babysat BOTH children for me. (I guess it's not exactly babysitting when he's their father... )

So what does Facebook have to do with this? Well, about a month or so ago - whever I first signed up on that crack-like site - I was contacted by an old high school friend, P. She also contacted a couple other girls in our high school circle, all of whom she had completely lost touch with - and after some back and forth we decided to all get together and go out for dinner. (The other two girls, Martine & B, I still speak to regularly. Martine is a regular reader. B makes it well known that she is very busy & has no time to read my little blog. Martine is busy too.)

We went to Spezzo had a very nice time. It was mucho fun catching up after not having seen her for EIGHTEEN YEARS. It was also mucho fun for me to get dressed up, get out of my laundry room, put on proper shoes & real black made-in-paris pants and go out for a nice meal. Getting served by someone other than me or the Swiss Chalet delivery man. (I was going to be politically correct & write delivery person, but have you ever received take-out by a women? Oh. I haven't.) I had the tuna. It was delish.

Jeff - how sweet is this - even pre-ordered a bottle of champagne and a plate of berries for us to enjoy on him! Sometimes that husband of mine... !!

So yeah... I had a great time. But I guess my bigger question is this - Why did it take Facebook and a girl that none of us had seen in almost twenty years for us to have a girls' night out? Are we so busy caring for our kids, our houses, and our husbands that we really don't have time? Or, do we just choose not to make the time? And if that's the case, what does that say about us? I could get deep into all the reasons why we don't take more time for ourselves, why we don't stop and enjoy each other's company more - without our kids & husbands - but I just heard the dryer ding. Better get to it before Michael wakes up.

4 comments:

Harlock said...

You spend good time. I think that you could repleat this every weekend or month.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean by either not making time or just choosing not to. Speaking of I could use a girls night out.

Anonymous said...

Came over from Emma's to say hi.

I am so jealous. Dinner out with grownups! AND your husband preordered champagne for you.

AND you have really cool videos.

I will definitely be back!

Anonymous said...

Post this photo on Facebook it is a great shot!
M