Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Alone In The School Yard

IMG_8136

Today Michael had his first official class! Music. With Brent. You all know Brent, by now...

I always look forward to the first day of new classes. New opportunities to meet other mom's with kids the same age as my own. New kids mean new play dates. And I love a good play date. Especially summertime patio ones. With beer. Anyhow, usually I'm disappointed. Usually it's a room that consists of me, one or two other mothers who I don't much care for, and 9 or 10 nannies or bubbies. Slim pickin's.

Today, as usual, I entered the class with high hopes. And this time was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the room. Only two nannies and 5 mothers!! Real Mothers. Of the kids in the class! Cool!

Okay, quickly found out not so cool at all. They are all friends already. With each other. Christ, even the two nannies had buddied up.

In high school I was fortunate to have been part of the cool crowd. Yes, I was popular. Today, however, I was a big stinkin' loser that nobody wanted to play with. I actually tried to make conversation a few times and was met with total disinterest...

A: Your daughter is so cute! How old is she?
G: 8 months.
A: Mine too! When was she born?
G: July 9th.
A: July 12th!! Does she have any teeth yet?
G: No.

Another instance... I overheard one woman talking to another about how her husband works out of California and travels a fair bit. I attempted to commiserate...

A: I overheard you saying that your husband is based in California...

And that was it! She pretended like she didn't even hear me!!!

If you try to take her side, and say that maybe she really didn't hear me, I'd be initially inclined to agree with you. Don't tell anybody, but I repeated myself... she ignored me TWICE!

Okayyyy.... so much for fast friendships. Bitches.

I wonder if that's what people thought of me in high school..

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Damm school yard Bullies!!! Give me their names, I'll call their Mothers right now!!! Next class bring chocolate chip cookies, only give them to the people who talk to you!!

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I ALSO suggested the "food for friends" route, as well! (However, I told Alissa to bring cupcakes... at least she can pretend there was a B-Day at home and she happened to have some left over!).