Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Light Was Right

Baby 1 _1

So check it out... Emma had her photo done by a REAL PHOTOGRAPHER. Cool, huh? Yeah, I thought so too.

Famed Toronto photographer Jim Allen took a bunch of photos of her while at a memorial service (of all places, I know, I know.) But the light was right. Clearly, he's serious. One look at his camera and OH. MY. GOD. I almost had an orgasim right then & there. Made my Canon Digital Rebel look like a Fisher Price toy. Except it is black, and not the pink model I so want to buy for Emma. (Okay, not really... I still love love love my camera.)

His photos make me realize that I am not a photographer, and have no business pretending to be. He is GOOD. I am merely a snap happy mommy; one with a decent camera and time on her hands.

I asked, and found out that he is completely self-taught. That knowledge has given me some inspiration; hope that I can hone my skills and maybe some day also become GOOD. That kind of good that people will be compelled to use caps to describe. Hell, maybe even GOOD bolded... Uh-huh. Oh shut up.

He took this picture a few weeks ago, and when we went to his studio to pick up the disc of photos, Emma not only did not remember him, she HATED him on sight. As it is, she's got a 'man-thing'. A crazy fear of all men she doesn't know. And this one, with his complete artiste-look, black rimmed glasses, black toque, dressed head-to-toe in black, in his blazingly hot downtown studio with bare black walls & tons of lighting equipment... well, it wasn't helping. She refused to even look at him, would not sit down, and worse, would not allow me to put her down. She wouldn't talk to him, wouldn't look at her pictures on his computer screen. Her arms clung around my neck for dear life. Yes, she seemed very thankful for the opportunity. Clearly, she's going to be his next muse.

Poor Michael couldn't get out of his stroller the entire time we were there. And yes, I think it was about two hours. Two hours and four please-get-a-grip fruit snacks later. Or maybe it just seemed that long.

Thankfully he cracked a window.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I don't understand why you think he's that great, good yes, but great? I dunno, what he does have that you don't is a great program, if you had the latest version of photo shop, and the time to learn how to use it, you'd be great! And you can borrow Nacoma to pose with Emma, at least Emma likes you, sometimes.
BB

Anonymous said...

Wowee zowee a Jim Allen portrait.
As David said, "that picture goes deep".
It is a portrait as opposed to a snapshot.
I wanna see more..

Marlee

Anonymous said...

Wowee zowee a Jim Allen portrait.
As David said, "that picture goes deep".
It is a portrait as opposed to a snapshot.
I wanna see more..

Marlee

Anonymous said...

I love the way he made her eyes uneven, tres Picasso.

Tori.

Anonymous said...

It is ORGASM not ORGASIM!!!

I even spell checked it to make sure I was right.

MG-K

Barbara said...

So....MG-K, what did you think of the picture? And BTW, I know who you are!!

Anonymous said...

I think you're far more talented. Not such a fan of that particular image... personally speaking.

Anonymous said...

I keep looking at it, I just don't get it, it's really not that good, the ones you take are much better, certainly not worthy of a
"Wowee zowee" LOL

Anonymous said...

Understanding art isn't for everyone.