Thursday, January 25, 2007

Today

Today... I did something I NEVER do. In fact, I don't know if I've EVER done it. Yup, I initiated a potential friendship. So NOT something I would normally EVER do. Like, nev-ah ev-ah. Seriously. Oh... and yup is not a word.

I was at Loblaws this afternoon, doing my almost daily grocery shop cuz I don't make lists, or plan for meals for that matter, and this chick came up to Emma in the bakery department and went on & on about how cute she was & blah blah blah. Again, something I NEVER do to other people's kids. But that's just me. Not normally overly friendly. At least to strangers.

To make a long story short (fine, story isn't that long to begin with), turns out this girl has a daughter just two weeks younger than Emma, and a son just 3 months younger than Michael. She's Jewish, looks like me, talks like me, is relatively geographically convenient (that's a biggie in my world), and we pretty much hit it off right there while I was waiting to get my sourdough loaf sliced.

After a nice conversation, we parted ways to do our separate shops. As I was going through the aisles, I was thinking that I should have gotten her number. After all, what kind of mother would I be if I didn't even TRY to make friends for my kids - particularly Michael, poor guy has only one friend - and he's Esther's little brother. And big bonus, I think I may actually like this girl.

So eventually I ran into her again - this time in the cereal aisle - and over boxes of Raisin Bran vs. Raisin Bran Crunch - I did it... I ASKED FOR HER PHONE NUMBER!!!

Christ, if I were a guy I would have never gotten laid.

================================

Today... I got a phone call from a girl.

A: Hello?
G: Hello, may I speak with Alissa please?
A: This is.
G: Hi... my name is Christina. You don't know me but I just found your wallet.

OH MY GOD!!! At that time I didn't even know I had LOST my wallet!!!!

Horray to Christina!! When she came over to return it, I offered her a paltry $20 reward - she refused.

My signal to Pay It Forward. Gawd, I loved that film.

Ditto Little Miss Sunshine - which, by the by, was just nominated for an Oscar!! Whoo-hoo!!!! See it now.

============================

Today... I was sitting on my bed, feeding Michael. With one hand I took out my diamond stud earring - something I do every few years or so. Of course, I dropped it in the bed and now can't find it ANYWHERE.

Half way tempted to wake the little guy to see if he's lying on it... or maybe I should just wait to see if he finds it by way of choking on it.

Yeah right... like it's so big it's gonna get lodged in his windpipe.

============================

Today... I was leaning over my mess of a computer desk, trying to plug my fax machine into the massive power bar that houses my entire system set up, when I accidently slipped, and turned off the central power button that runs EVERYTHING. I freaked, but just a little. Then I calmly turned the button back on - figuring I was going to have to spend the remainder of the day reprogramming all my shit. I turned back on my computer and... HOLY FUCK!!!! I can upload pictures again!!! I can print again!!! EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN!!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!

1 comment:

Julie G said...

Hi Alissa!

I don't know if you remember me, but I think you are a childhood friend of mine. My name is Julie (formerly Julianne Domb) Gonik. I happened to be googling and I came upon your blog. For fun I sometimes look up old school friends names from the past to see if I can find out what people have been upto in their lives. Are you the formerly Alissa Blum who used to live on Rondeau Drive? I used to live on Patina around the corner and went to Cliffwood PS until 1979 when my family and I moved to Thornhill. If you are who I think you are, we were inseparable friends for a few years. If you are Alissa Blum, I would love to hear from you. You can email me if you want at giljulie91@aol.com. By the way, I am the mother of 3 beautiful daughters aged almost 13, almost 9 and almost 3. I saw the pictures of your beautiful son and daughter on your blog. It's so neat to see where people are in their lives! Julie