Thursday, January 18, 2007

Michael is Six Months Old!

IMG_5934

Okay doke... lots going on around here so Michael's six-month update got pushed back. Isn't that always the case with the second kid? Problems with the first, so the second gets bumped to the back of the bus. At least that's what Lori will say.

Note this photo is one from the vault. This sleeper hasn't fit him in AGES. And when I say AGES, I mean like a whole month. But when you're all of six months old, one month is indeed a very long time.

First off, I've gotta tell you that I am, BY FAR, Michael's favourite person. And based on what's going on with Emma, this is a very good thing. My ego couldn't take it if both my kids didn't like me.

Second, you must know that I weighed both Michael & Emma on Michael's six-month birthday - January 12th. First thing in the morning. Both wearing just diapers. Clean ones at that. No false fluff.

Michael is a solid 18.6 lbs.
Emma... 23.6.

That's right. 20 months apart and only FIVE POUNDS DIFFERENCE.

And on with the update... Still going by Emma's baby book because Michael still doesn't have one. (and no, Lori, you bought me a Scrapbook. I am not a Scrapbooker. But I did return it to Chapters and bought Emma a very nice Melissa & Doug puzzle with the money - we thank you kindly!).

All that said... this is going to be brief. Shame I still can't really suppliment with pictures...

He has started rubbing his eyes when he's tired. Too cute. He will generally only fall asleep when someone (me) is holding him, or at the very least lying next to him in bed. Although in fits of extreme tiredness, he has been known to fall asleep in his Bumbo chair between spoonfuls of rice cereal. Clearly he's aware that better food is coming & if he misses out on a bit of this crap it's no biggie.

Michael is the lightest sleeper EVER. While Emma can sleep through just about anything - nevermind the sirens & alarms that are non-stop in our area - we live just off Yonge St., the busiest street in Toronto - I have to wake her up every morning, or she'll sleep well past 9:00. Michael, on the other hand, will wake up if I so much as clear my throat. God help me if I sneeze. And seeing as he's still in bed with us, well... you can see how this could be an issue. And speaking of him waking up... he's still doing just that every 2-3 hours, ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

I used to think I looked good for my age. Not so much anymore.

He recently discovered the range of his voice - and isn't shy to use it!

I gave him Baby Motrin for the first time three nights ago. I think he was teething. Maybe not. His cheeks were bright red and he was screaming nonstop for hours. Regardless, I just couldn't take it anymore. The Motrin worked.

december 27 2006

Michael also seems to prefer having a shower over a bath. I prefer him having a shower over a bath too. In the bath, all he does is splash. I end up drenched. The floor gets soaked. Emma goes sliding into the toilet. I fare much better if I'm intending to get drenched. Naked or otherwise. He's also the first kid I've ever seen to actually enjoy sticking his head directly under the shower head. Christ, even I still close my eyes!

Strangely enough, he seems to favour slapstick comedy. The other day, Jeff boinged on the head with one of those mylar balloons on a stick - the kind of balloon that NEVER DIES - and the kid just about wet himself he was laughing so hard. Wait a sec... did I really say 'just about' wet himself? No, no. I meant he did wet himself. But then, he does that often. Can't blame the laughing. In any case, he found it absolutely hysterical. Full belly laugh, straight from the toes. And continued to find it hysterical for like a full 15 minutes. Toss a Nerf ball at his head, and you'll get the same reaction. Now I'm asking myself just why do we find it so funny to keep throwing things at our kids' heads? (And here I wonder why Emma chucked her tape measure at me today...)

But he also busts a gut when you stick your tongue out at him. Lucky me - he's a very easy audience.

Emma seems to amuse him to no end... and likewise, him to her. Today, for instance, they were cracking each other up - he was eating his cereal and purposefully spitting his tongue out between bites, spraying cereal all over the table. She couldn't contain herself - nor could she keep her own Cheerios down in the process.

Also cute - today I let her play with some of my moisturizer so I could make a phone call in peace. I walked back into her room (where I had left Michael lying on her big play mat), and found her giving him a mani/pedi and a facial. Nothing like a captive audience.

His two favourite toys are his feet and his weiner.
That said, if I'm not quick diaper changes can be quite disgusting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You returned my gift to another store for credit? Why, I never...

Oh wait... yeah, I have.

Heather Noel said...

I cant believe Michael is 6 months old already. Time is flying, before you know it, he'll be walking all over the place. He sure is a cutie.

Emma in Canada said...

You returned a gift for Michael and bought something for Emma? Did I read that right?

I'm thinking Michael and Sophie must be related. It was like reading about her. Just funnier.