
What a lame ass mother slash blogger am I, huh? It's been almost two weeks since my kids' birthday party and I STILL have yet to write about it. Even worse, I STILL have yet to send out my thank you notes. And it's not like I've got TONS to send out either. In fact, only 14 in total. Like I said, lame. Forgive me. Lately I've been in the weeds. A term I used regularly while waitressing - clearly a shitty waitress as I was in the weeds a lot. But right now I'm feeling like my life is in the weeds. And for that reason, blogging is taking somewhat of a backseat. But that's a whole other blog...
And now onwards about the very quick Emma's birthday party recap.
I think it turned out great! I think everyone had a good time. I know I did. The birthday girl did too. At least she did until she got cranky. Stupid me planned her party for 2:00pm. I was more concerned about Michael's schedule at the time than the girl of honour. It didn't even occur to me that at 3:00 she normally falls flat on her face. Literally. Lately these days she's been napping on the carpet. Twice she's even fallen asleep on the stairs en route to her bedroom. She must get this from her father - the only man I know who can fall asleep sitting straight up in his chair. (Emma, too, has fallen asleep sitting in her high chair...)
As I was saying, the party was called for 2:00pm, with 'entertainment' to arrive at 2:45 - to allow for latecomers, y'know.
We started off with a little noshing... (Like I said, it was 2:00 - that means NO LUNCH, just snacks & cake. Another reason I chose that time. We don't have the seating capacity for 20-odd people to sit down for lunch.)


My homemade cookies went over surprisingly well, but nobody touched my homemade cupcakes. That was just as well... they weren't great. Dry. Hate when that happens. Don't be calling me Martha anytime soon.

As you can see, the cake was Elmo. I would have thought she'd want Dora or the Backyardigans or even Max & Ruby. But no... everyday for at least a week I was asking her who was her favourite, and everyday, without hesitation, it was Elmo. Then we went to Toys R Us to get the matching hats & plates, and again... looking over all the other options available, I waited for her to choose something else - like a princess - but nope. Elmo. So Elmo it was.


We invited most of Emma's friends, at least all the ones she knows (say for Madison... - but Maddy is the daughter of a good friend of Jeff's, so soon enough Emma will know her too). Like I was saying before, due to space limitations, we couldn't invite EVERYONE we know with kids... just the kids Emma plays with on a semi-regular basis. That made up 8 kids in total. Plus parents. Plus us. Total turnout was about 20. Say for Zachary, the love interest. Go figure, he got timed-out and had to stay home. Hunter, the back-up love interest, came but slept the entire time in the guest room. Clearly 2:00 pm is NOT a good party time. Lesson learned for next year.

This is Madison. Absolutely adorable. She took her very first ever solo-steps at Emma's party... (she just turned one)

Everyone showed up, were mingling, everything was great, then the entertainment arrived before anyone had a chance to get bored. Perfect timing.
I hired Brent. I've known Brent for a good ten years. In fact, way back when I used to date him. Just briefly. No biggie. At the time he was in grad school doing his MBA/CA. I was also doing post-graduate studies in journalism. He completed his. I didn't complete mine. But that's neither here nor there...
He is also Emma's music teacher (for lack of a better word). She loves him. Actually, it seems as though most kids love the guy. Shocked is the only way to describe my reaction when I took Emma to her first music class last year and HE was the intructor. I mean, I haven't seen the guy in like a DECADE. And last I had, he was an accountant/business major/pianist/guitarist/singer. I just always thought the accountant/business part was first & foremost. Guess not. Well, the accountant part never did suit him...
Here is Emma, looking very pleased as the Birthday Party Hostess:

And now she's choosing her instrument:

Esther liked the morracca's:

And Tegan thought the bubbles were just awesome:

Here's Julia, looking oh-so-pretty:

She holds a special place in Emma's world because Julia's bubbie crocheted the most cherished 'old blankie'. Old meaning it's been around the longest, and is thus the most special of all the blankets. Plus, we get a lot of hand-me-down's from Julia. And me from Barbi. Julia's mother. The only other woman in our circle with a 5 1/2 shoe.
Here's one of Shayne:

And another of Tegan:

I foolishly didn't take many photos during the party, as I was too busy socializing and quite frankly, enjoying myself. I did, however, hand over my camera to others to try to get some shots. Bad move. Got a lot of crap. Very few cake photos and present opening ones. Even fewer good ones of said events. Ugh. Another lesson learned for next time. At least I've got my memories. I'll just tell Emma she had a really good time too. She did.

Tomorrow we're going to Hunter & Zachary's combined birthday party. I told Emma about it this afternoon. First thing she asked? "I get presents?"
I explained how it works.
Now she's looking very forward to her loot bag and "birthday party hat".
Martine... there had better be loot bags & birthday party hats or I'm in trouble!

6 comments:
It looks like a great party and glad Emma had fun!! The food table looked pretty good to! It always kills me how people make their food table look all fancy.. like the food is all set up nicely and everything looks so edible.. god mine is thrown on the plate and looks like crap.. I could not decorate it if my life depended on it! and you are not lame!!!
In the weeds? As I recall you were "In the weeds" before you started waitressing. It used to make you happy.
BB
Just remember the older they get, the longer the party,
especially when they start serving tequilla.
Can you email me the photos you took at the "exclusive"
party with Dina and Sara. Love to see them.
We'd love to do another visit. Let me know when you have time.
Please send me Adam's email address.
Marlee
Looks like you had a great party Emma,and your birthday cake is adorable.It was a special day for a special little girl!!!
Love Grandma
Let's not talk about bad bloggers. I haven't posted Saoirse's 2 year update, nevermind the birthday party. You're on the ball in my books!
Great photos! Great story. I'm planning my birthday party for late August. Will you be available to take the pix and wrtie the story? No Tequila or weed, but the coffee and food will be amazing!!! Kisses for the cutest kids in the world!
Love, Sara
Post a Comment