
This past weekend we decided to go to the zoo. Not the usual Metro Toronto Zoo, where we normally go, but rather the Bowmanville Zoo - which is a good 45 minutes outside of the GTA. Greater Toronto Area, for those of you not in the know. I used to go there with my family when I was young - and like all things, remembered it to be HUGE. GIGANTIC. ENORMOUS. Just like the Toronto Zoo. Uh-huh. Like all things in life, everything clearly is bigger when you're small. The Bowmanville Zoo is indeed tiny. Unless you know about it, and are in fact actually looking for it, you'll drive right past.
Anyhow, don't think I ever told you this story, but at the almost exact same time last year, Jeff, Emma, and I drove out to this little zoo, only to discover it was closed. Closed the weekend prior. Figures. However, we so happened to run into the owner and he felt so bad that we came all that way just to check out his little zoo that he mailed us a couple free family passes for this year. They came a couple weeks later, and this being a full year ago, I put them in a drawer and promptly forgot about them. And then, on Friday, out of nowhere, I was going through some old papers, and what should I find but the passes - only to discover that this was the last weekend the zoo would be opened. Holy Shit - that is so NOT my luck. I can't believe I didn't come across these passes NEXT weekend. In my joke that is my life, that would have made much more sense. But don't you worry - I'll pay for this stroke of luck. Somehow my God will see to it.
Where was I? As usual, I've wondered away & lost my train of thought. Think I should go back on my meds? Probably.. but yet again, that's another blog entirely.
As I was saying, where was I? So last year we went to this zoo & it was closed. It was really dreary out that day, grey & overcast. There was a haze in the air. Surreal, actually. And out of nowhere, there came an elephant walking down the street. No leash, just walking along with some guy. Jeff saw it too. And I had my camera. So whatever you're thinking, it wasn't the meds. They're not that good.


After that bit of excitement, we took some photos of Emma on her first-ever horse-ride...

And here she is again, exactly one year & one week later, but this time she's got herself a little man...

I should mention that I LOVE that I FINALLY figured out how to place photos within the text. Now that I've learned a new trick, consider yourself warned - I'm gonna be doing alot of this. Kinda like when I learn how to cook a new dish - we eat it till we're blue. Or till we get food poisoning.
Anyhow, if you want to see more photos from the day at the zoo, you can check them out HERE. And if I haven't mentioned it lately, let me remind you here & now - I LOVE comments. Thrive on them, really. Both here, and on my Flickr. Thanks so much. Really.

2 comments:
What great pictures---looks like a great day was enjoyed by all!!! Love how Emma totes her purse around. She's something else!! Grandma loves and misses you Emma---and Michael too!!!
OMG - I was first going to write a comment about how I sooo don't remember going there (that happens, what with being the middle child and all), but after seeing the pictures, I totally remember the zoo! (Ok, not so much the zoo itself, but the pictures that mommy has kept of that time...)
It's nice to see Emma has taken a liking to the Elder Kolm Brother... leaving Lexi (aka Alexandria, aka, fetus, aka demon seed) to have a possible future with Hunter! ;)
Post a Comment