Wednesday, April 05, 2006

She Finally Did It!!

For weeks now Jeff has been very concerned that Emma is not yet speaking in full sentences. I keep telling him that she's completely normal, and her progress is just fine, even advanced (oh shut up - I'm her MOTHER) but he's in major competitive mode. I swear, he & his co-workers are worse than all the women I know put together - "my daughter can do this," followed by "yeah, but MY daughter can do THIS..."

That being the case, Jeff is pushing Emma to learn her full name, address, postal code, and birth date. One of his coworkers kids knows hers. And she's only 22 months old. Did I mention this kids mother is the CFO is a major-IBM-like company? Ummm.... yeah, this kids mother is smarter than me. I'll give her that. And, quite honestly, I'm okay with it too. Sometimes you just have to admit when someone is better & smarter... this is one of those times. (Every so often I catch Jeff quietly coaching Emma... "Your name is Emma Mckenzie Abray. Your birthday is November 2nd. You live at ..." Ahhh... men.

My big horrah came last night when Emma finally put two words together. I mean, I think she's done it before - but never really that clearly. I'm always saying things like, "Did she just say...? I think she just said... " This time it was a fursure.

Emma hasn't adjusted to the time change particularly well. None of us have, so I've decided not to hold it against her. This time. So on Night Two of Daylight Savings Time, I put her to bed a half hour earlier than her usual bedtime. Needless to say, the poor kid was PISSED. After 10 minutes of screaming her bloody lungs out, I decided to go upstairs, give her some milk & a kiss, and remind her that it's time to go to sleep.

I walked into her room and low & behold she was angrier than I gave her credit for. Not only had she thrown her blanket & soother over the side, but also ALL her books & stuffed animals. Now THAT'S one irate little girl.

So I gave her back all her things (plus Elmo - known affectionately as "Mo"), and left once again.

Next thing I hear coming from her room - and if this didn't just break my heart - was a completely audible "Mommy Down!! Mommy Down!! Mommy Down!!"

Oh my... kill me now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to give Emma a cell phone with my number on speed dial.

Emma's Bubbie.