Thursday, February 09, 2006

Looking Back... Emma is 15 Months Old!


I know I keep saying this, but I really don't think there can be a better age than right now. The little bugger is getting smarter, cuter, and funnier everyday. I just hope we continue on the upswing, cuz if a reversing trend starts emerging, well...

Get ready for the disgustingly proud parent blog... one that works better for me than filling out the baby book, which I seem to have long since abandoned. Rather, when Emma is 18 I'll just hand her a binder of b&w printed papers to read through. "Thanks Mama."

Where to begin? Let me tell you, she is getting cuter & cuter with so much of her vocabulary - for instance, every night before bedtime Emma & I sit in her rocking chair and read. When I reach the end of each book, she'll slam it shut & announce "DONE!" She's also decided that she no longer likes "Good Night Moon". It was one of our regular reads, then all of a sudden one night I got pulled it out and just as I opened it to the first page, she closed it. Tried again, same thing. Next night... same. Following week later... no difference. Week after that she was ready for it once again. Guess she just needed a break. And really, who could blame her? We all know how it ends.

She doesn't quite get the difference between an "oh-oh" and an on purpose. What do I mean? Well, she'll drop something - a stuffed animal, a soother, food - over the side of her highchair, her crib, whatever, and declare "OH-OH!" Like it was some big accident. Sure kid. Uh-huh.

She seems to want her soother more & more rather than less & less. This is a little worrisome, but it's better than being hooked on her thumb. Can take a soother away, but they'll likely take Emma away from me if I tried to hack off her thumb. I'm guessing when the time comes it'll be the equivalent of me quitting smoking... Well hell, when I quite smoking I gained 25 lbs. Perhaps it won't be such a bad thing for Em.

And on that note, she had her 15-month check up the other day. The kid hasn't gained ANY WEIGHT AT ALL. Still at the same 18.5 lbs she was three months ago. But strangely, she's shot up 4 inches! In other words, she's not even on the chart in terms of her weight, but she's in the 50th percentile for head size & height. I say tall & slim like a model. Jeff says tall & slim like an Ethiopean Jew. I guess I should be happpy he's acknowledging her Jewish lineage.

Art class... not so much. And I agree with her. Turns out some people are just not my kid of people. And these ones fit the bill. I mean, take the girl wearing bright red pajama bottoms with a ridiculously oversized tie-died shirt - the art class is for the KIDS - you don't need to dress like a clown to camaflouge paint on you! Fine, don't wear white - but this was ridiculous. Harsh? Maybe. But then again this chick did ask me how much rent I pay in front of a group of people - NONE OF WHOM I KNOW. I now continue going to art class not so much for Emma's sake, but rather to make fun of her.

She understands (and often does) put things "back" in their proper place. And as she's putting them back (like returning the tupperware to its drawer), she'll announce that she is indeed putting it "BACK". Just to make sure you know... Gotta make sure you get the credit for the task, or really... why bother?

Emma now knows the word NO. But not just "no" - when she uses it she also demonstrates by shaking her little head back & forth. I mean, c'mon... can my kid be any cuter?? No. She can't.

We think she might grow up to be an engineer - needs to know how everything works, needs to try to put everything back in its proper place - from getting her bottle in the cut-out in the highchair to figuring out how the clasps work in her Furby purse. However, the wooden puzzle with the insect cut-outs... she has no patience for that one. Would sooner just dump it over than try to figure out how that fit in their respective places. Guess she's not perfect after all. (Shh... don't tell Jeff I said that - he doesn't know!)

I'm 96% sure she's going to be right-handed. I dunno, but she certainly didn't get it from MY side. Seems to be a left-brain thinker... hence the engineering thing. Another for instance is that she actually figured out how to open a pop can! And we don't drink pop. Much.

And I've probably mentioned this in every single entry, but the phone is still the biggest draw around. While cellulars are preferred, cordless comes in 2nd, and a regular corded phone is a distant third. But she's constantly either 'on the phone' or giving the phone to someone else - Jeff, myself, her monkey, her dog... anyone who's around. She can figure out how to do things on my cell phone that I didn't even know were possible. Like the other day, we were in the car, she started crying, and to shut her up I did what any lazy parent would do - handed her my phone. Of course it worked, and when we got home I went to take it back - low & behold, the kid was surfing the 'net!!!!

I know this entry was lame & rushed, but gimme a break... I've been exhausted what with being 17 weeks pregnant. Like when I'm no longer pregnant I'll have more energy??!! Who am I fucken kidding?

No comments: