This, the FOURTEENTH month of Emma's life, has been the month of new words. Suddenly we have to watch all our oh-so-casual shits & fucks & damns. Watch out world... Emma is talking!
To date, her vocabularly goes a little something like this:
"bye-bye" with a too-cool-for-school wave
"hi" with the same hip little wave
flower, ball, duck, dog, backpack, cow (?), chicken (?)
Another big one is "more" - sounds more like "mooooor" Truly, too cute - and not just cuz I'm her mother. Okay, maybe a little. But really it all comes down to food - if it's good, she's not shy to tell her she'd like "mooooor".
Communication is a very good thing. And when she drops something over her highchair tray - which is ALL THE F'EN TIME - she'll look me in the eye and so nicely inform me the it's don (down).
Em can now officially point to her head and her feet! The kid is brilliant!!!!
She understands so much.... like this...
A: Ugh... don't talk... I'm going through a wave... (of ridiculous, all consuming nausea)
E: waves at me
And she 'gets' stuff too... like this...
A: Emma, please bring me your shoes.
E: (brings me her shoes)
As great as this is, however, clearly it's not going to do much for my weight-loss attempts.
The only thing I'm a little concerned about is whether or not the kid is colour blind. Sure, I joke about it now, but God I'll feel like an ass if she really is. Okay, why the concern? Once I tell you, I'm sure you'll agree... that it's probably nothing. Maybe Em is just a little slower with some things than with others.., or maybe sure just doesn't care to amuse me.. You can ask her to bring you just about any of her animals - monkey, dog, cat, lion, cow, horse - no problem. And she was a real quick study with all of them. But then, you ask her to give you the red cup and... NOTHING. I should add that she bathes with four coloured cups every night - red, blue, green, and orange - and EVERY NIGHT we go over the colours. And EVERY NIGHT the kid has no clue which is the red cup. Ditto the orange, green, or blue. So what do you think? Clearly the warning bells are sounding!
Have I told you that she has 20/25 vision? Yes, way back in the early days of Emma, Jeff & I thought she had a lazy eye. Actually Jeff thought she did. My father does, and Jeff was all wigged out that Em got it, and if she had it he could easily blame 'my side'! Anyhow, I took her to an pediatric eye specialist for testing at 6 months old - no lazy eye - and just recently took her for her 6-month follow up... more on that when I'm not this tired.
And lastly, Emma discovered the love of the dance. I can only hope she gets her rhythm from Tyrone, her real father.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Or from Ben Vereen, your real Father.
Love, Mummy.
Okay who is Ben Vereen???? Since we are on the topic... Ricky Martin is my childrens father! I wish!
martine
Daddy has a lazy eye? (Goes to show you how much I stare at the man... granted in 28 years I guess I should have noticed that one).
Ben Vereen is a famous black entertainer, he played Webster's Uncle. Now do you know? I met him in a restaurant and he asked me to marry him. That actually happened, and he's not really Alissa's Father.
B.B.
Post a Comment