Yes, both of us. We survived Emma's first fever/illness. Okay, not so much illness as there was no cough, cold, sneezing, sniffling, snuffy nose, achy muscles or any of the many other symptons that would want to make me give her a nice hot mug of Neocitron... but my baby had her first fever! And for FOUR days! And I lived to tell about it! Actually, not to toot my own horn (okay, to toot my own horn), but I'm pretty impressed with how I handled the situation. Coming from a girl that used to get anxiety attacks going to a dinner party with people she didn't know, here I am, completely ALONE across the country - I'll say it again - COMPLETELY ALONE - and my child chooses now to get so boiling hot that I almost threw her on my plate, smothered her with butter & sour cream and had her for dinner. Except I had salmon, and as everybody knows, salmon is more of a rice dish. And I handled it. Well.
In any case, she lived. I lived. And now she's all better.
For those who want more information... and you know who you are... this is how it all went down:
Thursday morning Emma woke up BOILING hot. I'd never felt anything like it. Fortunately, I am an insanely nerotic person and even though my child has never been about 37 degrees, I still carry a little digital thermometer in my diaper bag. After much fighting, I finally got a reading... 38.9. Not having a clue what this number meant, and not knowing how to convert my cheap little thermometer from celsuis to fahrenheit (cuz I only know that 103 is too high) I called BC's version of TeleHealth Ontario. Quick thinking on my part, huh? How did I know that BC even had a 24-hour version of TeleHealth Ontario? Well.. Mary Catherine has their magnet on her fridge. See Jeff, fridge magnets can be good for something!
Long story short, I gave hot little E a dropper full of Infant Motrin & promptly scooted the little bugger over to the closest walk-in centre. Of course, by the time we were called in to see the doctor, the drugs had kicked in, she had no fever, and was as happy as happy could be. And all I could think of was Eminem & his wacko mother & munchausen syndome by proxy. First the hammer incident and now this. I've got to get a hold of my permanent record cuz it's not lookin' good for me.
The doctor checked her out - looked at & listened to all the important parts - and E was a dream. Everytime the doctor would say, "okay, she's not gonna like this..." She wouldn't say a peep. He couldn't believe it. I could. That's my Em. Dontcha just want to rip my head off?
And now, four days later, the fever is gone & Emma is finally eating a little more than boob & water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment