Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Stuffed. And Not Like A Turkey.

I'm sick. Grossly, horrifically sick. And it came on so suddenly, no warning, no build-up, just out of the blue on Tuesday afternoon I had a scratchy throat. That lasted for about an hour. Then it was like someone had taken out a butcher's knife and started slicing my throat from the inside out. This was so beyond Cherry Vicks, no match for those awful Menthol Halls. Hell, I don't think it could have been helped by the worst of the worst... Fisherman's Friend.

Fortunately Lori was on her way home from work just when I was contemplating slicing my throat open to remove the knives I was so sure were in there. No chance was she going to allow for any such foolishness... your throat is one of your best features, she told me. Why go and scar it up?

With that she took charge, sent me to bed and amused Emma while I had a quick cat-nap. It had to be quick cuz I was in too much pain for anything more. Once I came downstairs, Lori took off to the drugstore and bought me pharmacist-approved-for-breastfeeding drugs (limited to lozenges and nasal strips - in size LARGE - she claims that's all they had!) and a Pickle Barrel wrap for dinner.

From there it went downhill quickly... Come Wednesday, the coughing (more like hacking), the sneezing, the runny nose (the kind you get when you're 8 and every time you look down clear snot drips out before you have a chance to suck it back in), and the unbelievable tiredness had taken up permanent residence in my body. In fact, I was so tired today that I had to call my mother to come over IMMEDIATELY as I could not keep my eyes open and could not care for my child. Seriously. E & I were in the family room (for those of you that are aware of the layout of my house, we were on the 2nd floor, in what has become her 'playroom' of sorts) and my eyes just kept closing. Not too good considering we've got lots of stairs and even more outlets and she's completely mobile. Every so often my head would bob off the the side and I'd jump up all startled. And that's when I had to make the call... COME OVER NOW!

And like the fantastic Jewish mother she is, she not only jumped in her car tout suite, she stopped at the Pickle Barrel first and bought me some 'homemade' soup, a wrap, and an Us Weekly magazine! Once here, I got to go upstairs, close the door, turn off the monitor and sleep for a full 2 hours while she & Emma played and read and laughed and sang. It wouldn't have surprised me if she pulled out the karoke machine and disco ball.

It made me wonder what on earth I'd have done had we been living in Florida...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would jump on a plane to deliver hot soup, a wrap, a magazine and take care of my Grandaughter so you could rest, if you moved to Florida!!!! But....the soup would be cold, the wrap would be stale, and the magazine would be old, so why would you move to Florida???

Love,
Mummy.