One of the biggest items on our local news these days is the impending LCBO strike. In case you don't know, the LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Without the LBCO, Ontario will be in for a completely dry summer - with the exception of beer. And while I like beer just fine, plenty fine actually, it's hard to have a decent summer party with out anything but... So myself & the rest of the province have had just three days to stock up for summer. Tonight at midnight is the deadline for the talks to work themselves out, and the booze to continue to pour freely.
This all said, this afternoon - the final afternoon - I headed over to our local LCBO. Was running way behind schedule as I had to pick Jeff's cousin Mark up to take him to the airport to meet his mom, here from Victoria on a long layover en route to Ireland. I knew if I explained the situation she would understand if I had to be a few minutes late. (post-script: her flight was delayed & no one was the wiser.)
I gathered a sleeping Emma in one hand (left her in her embarrasingly too-small car-seat carrier), and pushed a mini-cart in the other. The carts look like regulation grocery store carts, but they should be in Miniature Village. Little, but cute. Not much different than me. If I was a good mother I'd have probably said not much different than Emma. Up & down the aisles I went... a few bottles of Stolley, a couple Crown Royals, various reds & whites, one sparkling (for mimosa's - never know when you're going to have a brunch), and four bottles of Tanquary Gin. Did I mention my in-laws are coming in for the latter part of August & the month of September? How horrible if we had NOTHING TO DRINK? So, I sucked up the realization that indeed I was in for a ginormous bar bill and handed my Visa to the cashier. At least I was going to get a tons of AirMiles out of this! Maybe as many as 7!
A: So... you think you're really going to strike?
C: No. Do you need help carrying all this out?
A: Yes, pease.
C: (pages carry-out guy to come over while ringing through my order)
A: No? You don't think the strike is going to go through?
C: No.
A: How come?
C: It was settled this morning.
A: Ohhh... Didn't know that. Guess I won't be needing any of this. Thanks. See ya.
End of story. Felt bad that I left the poor carry-out guy to put everything back, but... well, that's about it. I felt bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Not too funny---can just picture the look on the cashier's face!!!! Oh the joys of being a cashier!!---and a carry-out!!! Didn't you feel just a little guilty all day?? Love momA
This is hysterical! I'm new to your blog and *love* your sense of humor. I'm going to keep shopping around your site . . . :)
Post a Comment