Saturday, March 19, 2005

Roadtrip!

I probably shouldn't have such a fun-sounding title for this entry - we went on the roadtrip to attend a funeral. In Windsor. Actually, it was in Merlin, but seeing as most of you (is there anyone out there??) won't have a clue where Merlin is, it's just easier to say Windsor. Close enough. Jeff's uncle Carl passed away - I met him once, while we were in Vancouver after our Alaskan cruise two summers ago. He was very nice. (Should you ever cruise, I highly recommend Alaska...) Anyhow, the funeral was quite sad as Carl was the first of 10 siblings to pass away. On a brighter note, Jeff's parents came to town so we got to see them again. Also got to introduce Emma to many other relatives she had yet to meet.

This weekend marked many firsts for my little one...
*first funeral (duh)
*first time in a church - thank God for all the stained glass. She was so enthralled she didn't realize she hadn't eaten in 5 (yes, FIVE) hours.
*first time at a hockey game - after the funeral service, and before the wake we went to see the Tecumseh Tigers play a game at the community arena in Windsor. Jeff's little cousin Mark is an all-star, so that was fun. Fun until I realized just how loud hockey is. For the first time, I experienced major mother-guilt. Here poor little Em was trying so hard to sleep & I drag her tired little bum into a hockey arena of all things. What kind of horrible selfish person am I???? After about 20 minutes (I had to finish my fries, after all) I took her outside & waited the for rest of the game to end on the bench. I had fun, but not as much fun as those inside the stadium.
*first time at an Irish wake - really, we're in mourning here??? Seems more like a party to me. NOTHING like a shiva! There was a bar-b-que, tons of desserts (that part was shiva-like), tons of drinks (that part was not shiva-like), people taking pictures, young girls doing dance routines (so reminded me of Martine & I in my den doing Grease!), u-ker tournaments (clearly, I haven't a clue how to spell it), and garage smokers. Like I said, it was just fun. Everyone swooned over Emma. That made it even more fun. Tell me, is it bad to have fun at a wake? I'm experiencing some Jewish guilt over that one.
*first time at a hotel. Sorry Em that it was just a Travelodge (choices are pretty limited in Merlin!). But we did stay in the Presidental Suite! You slept like a champ!
*first time in a kick-ass 7,000 sq. ft. (or so) custom built 'cottage' on Lake St. Clair. It's Theresa & Howard's new place and it is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to see it when it's completed! Imagine... 26 foot ceilings!

All this, and I haven't even gotten to the part about how you found your ears!!!!

No comments: