Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Michael is Thirteen Months Old!

IMG_1497

I do believe this is my most pathetically late update issue yet... Ugh. I don't know what's going on with me & my blogging - or lack of blogging - these days. Oh. Yes I do. It's Michael. The kid is running me ragged. Seriously. He doesn't stop. Right till he falls down asleep.

IMG_1757

But I'm here now, so lets get the show on the road...

July 15 - Michael is officially a climber. Which means I now have to relocate my "office". (Read: corner where my desk is pushed, next to a pile of bankers boxes.) The little bum has figured out how to push my printer off my hard-drive, climb up on that, and from there climb onto my desk. Annoying? Sure. But life-threatening? Actually, yes. You see, my desk happens to be on the top floor of our four-story townhouse, and it's right next to the banister which drops straight down to the basement. Granted, if he did make the fall, he'd really just land in a huge pile of dirty clothes and towels, cuz the drop also doubles as my laundry shoot. But still... I suppose if he didn't break too many bones, he'd just think it was fun, and would likely do it again. And then people would think I'm a bad mother.

But sometimes I'm good. Cuz I take my kids on picnics and stuff. Like here. Here is Michael and his friend Baby Zachary. To date, this is still his only friend. Okay, maybe I'm not that good of a mother after all. I say this cuz right now, as I'm blogging, I'm listening to Emma having a full blown temper tantrum on the kitchen floor cuz I put the stopper in her sippy cup lid when SHE CAN DO IT herself. But anyhow, here's MickNew & Zack, clearly enjoying some male bonding time while the girls frolicked in the park.

IMG_2015

IMG_2026

Sometime in June - cuz I forget exactly when, and I know I didn't include this on my last update, so... Michael is now very into swinging his head violently back & forth, y'know, in that "NO WAY JOSE!!!" stance kids get when they have definitively decided that it's enough... there is absolutely no room left for just one more itty-bitty spoonful of yogurt.

IMG_1492

And speaking of spoonfuls of anything... Michael has decided that he MUST now feed himself. No more being treated like a baby, thankyouverymuch. Yup, my 13-month-old would now like to be treated like a big kid. And that includes using his own spoon. Eating with his hands? So, like, the food actually gets INTO his mouth? Again, thanks, but no. Needless to say, mealtimes have just gotten a whole hell of a lot messier.

IMG_1858

Something seems to have suddenly clicked inside Michael's little basketball head and he just 'gets it'. Very cool. Like, when I'm going to bring him up to bed, he'll know to wave good-bye to Daddy & Emma, who are usually sitting on the downstairs sofa. Oh... and he also leans over to kiss them both too. Which he does now. And I mean REAL KISSES. Not the kisses of times past where he's mostly just trying to eat your face. (Fine, they are still often open mouth, but there are no teeth involved, and it's just open lips nicely placed on your face for two seconds. I could die so sweet. And Emma does a totally cute imitation of a Michael kiss... but guess you'd have to be here to appreciate that. And if you were here, then I'd actually know you... )

Speaking of things that just 'clicked' for Michael - CLAPPING! At appropriate times! Like when he's excited about something! Or when I say, "Michael... show them how you can clap!" My own personal monkey-boy! How fun!!

IMG_1790

When he concentrates, like REALLY concentrates, or sometimes when he just 'is', his tongue will just stick out the side of his mouth. In that special short bus kind of way. "You're a good boy... yes you are... yes you are!"

I really am going straight to hell, aren't I?

IMG_1358

And now for the all-important date portion of the update:

July 22 - I guess I can say he's "officially" walking as of today. Why? Cuz he took like 25 steps in a row. All the way down the hallway. And earlier he walked around the bed. That's right. The kid took a CORNER.

He's getting a little cocky about his ability though... and is trying to run alot. And then he falls into things. Like wooden chair legs. And then things like his happen to his little button face:

IMG_1462

IMG_1471

IMG_1472

IMG_1479

How totally cool is my son?!

IMG_1537

August 1st - totally into figuring out how to work those clasp-like buckles that are on all the high-chairs, strollers, life-jackets, car-seats, ... Pretty much anything that can contain him, he's bound and determined to figure out how it works and how to solve it. And he's really good at it too...

IMG_1508

August 4th - Michael's first haircut. Don't get me started. Jeff & I had a major difference of opinion on whether or not he needed it. I said no. Jeff said yes. Granted, this isn't too unlike anything else in our lives, but this time it was really important. I mean... this is Michael's HAIR!!!! I did a silent "Alissa, pick your battles" conversation with myself, and kinda sorta gave in. End result? He's still cute as a button.

But more on that later... Pictures too. That's my teaser tag to keep you comin' back for more!

August 5th - Started High-Fiving. Showed him once. ONCE. And he got it. Yup, my boy is brilliant!!! Who says kids who fall on their heads alot as infants are dumb?

Agust 12th - Cheers! Same thing... showed him once. ONCE. He thought it was hysterical. And likely a huge mistake on my part cuz now he's been slamming sippy cups and bottles all day long. It's kinda getting on my nerves. Probably cuz, at least with the bottle, it's kinda messy. What with the formula flying everywhere.

And on a different note, anyone know who is hosting Fun Monday this week? I may just give it a go... if it's easy enought, that is.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your updates so much!!! i don't care how late they might be, just keep them coming!

Happy Working Mom said...

I love the "cheers"!!! My kids love to do that and it's super cute to see them do it with sippy cups :)

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Gah, you are a bad mom! Those kids weren't even allowed to sit on the blanket! Gah!

I really wanna see the "cheers" thing! I bet it so freakin cute!

Emma in Canada said...

Lisa's chaos is hosting. I don't know her url, but she left me a comment today. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go check. I don't know what we have to do. But now I want to know so I'll have to check. Urgh. Will let you know.

I haven't done Sophie's one year yet, so I am officially a worst mother than you. At least you do them, as I've said before.

Emma in Canada said...

um...worse not worst. I did pass English, though you may never guess it.

So it's www.lisachaos.blog-city.com

and the question is why do you blog? It's a bit of an effort to post a comment, some sign up or not sign up. Oh, and you have to answer a math question. I don't like math questions even if they are easy like 7+4. Makes me think of school.

Anonymous said...

Love the update and pics!! Such an adorable little boy!!

Anonymous said...

All I can sat is "what a beautiful
child"! It won't be long and I can get one of those precious kisses too. Grandpa says he wants one or two as well!! We love you Michael.
Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Grandma's commenting too late in the day--sorry about "sat"--try "say"!!

Anonymous said...

He is so cute ...I just wanna plop him on a plate and soak him up with a biscuit.

Just a little southern fun from Aunt LA. :)

Tonya said...

great update and pics... you are not a bad mom.. just an extremely funny one...lol

3XMom said...

Lol. He is a cutie. You're in trouble now -- as my mother in law says, "staple his feet to the floor!" My little guy (almost 13 months) is a climber too. Gotta love that.

M said...

um....i commented on this already dangit. insert appropriate comments here since i commented on this earlier today but discovered half my comments ahve been eaten.

that child? just divine. cheers and high fives? too much!