Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Scarred! (And Updated)

P1010927

So the other night I thought I'd try making something new for dinner. Now, me and "new" don't usually work out too well. Cuz really, I'm nothing if not a half-assed cook.

But I'm a half-assed cook who loves calamari, except I don't like paying restuarant prices for it. Especially when you call it squid and put it behind the fish counter in Loblaws and it costs next to nothing to just buy all raw and slimy.

So I thought I try it out. That, and I saw some cooking show where the guy said all you need to do was heat your oil to SUPER DUPER HOT, throw a little lemon and some kosher salt, sear it for like two mintues and BAM! You've got calamari. But he didn't say BAM! cuz it wasn't Emeril, and if he did say BAM! he'd have likely been sued.

So after my mini-pedi, I went to Loblaws, bought my squid and some kosher salt. We already had the lemons. And came home with the intent to try something new. But first, I was pleased with how cute my feet looked, and loved my flip-flop tan lines - such a sign of summer! - so I thought I'd take a picture. You know you've run out of what to photograph when...

Jeff and the kids were home, having some snacks, cuz really they had no expectations of my "calamari" being edible or anything. But I was excited. Even if I was the only one.

I heated the oil to SUPER DUPER HOT.

And when it was just SUPER DUPER HOT enough I tossed on the fresh, oh-so-plump piece of squid.

And then...

BAM!!!!

Yes, I said BAM!!!!

(Anyone know how to make the fonts bigger in blogger? Cuz this next word deserves a big huge blow your eye sockets out of your head type of font...)

FIRE!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately Jeff was home cuz he put out the fire. The fire that absolutely DESTROYED my best frying pan.

But nevermind about my frying pan. (A reminder... my birthday is on Sept. 26...)

The fire. The SUPER DUPER HOT OIL. It splattered EVERYWHERE!!!

And as I feel to the ground holding my face and my foot, somehow at the same time, Jeff actually asked how I was BEFORE putting out the fire. I was quite impressed by his calmness. Cuz I was screaming, "PUT OUT THE DAMN FIRE!!!!"

But back to the more important part of the story. Specifically me.

And my face.

P1010987

P1010969

Just so you know, that big red blister on my lip is a burn from the oil.

I DO NOT HAVE HERPES.

Now check out my foot. Try not to barf on your computer screen.

Don't say I didn't warn you...




















P1010986

P1010982

So yeah. It hurts. Alot.

I should tell you, that these photos were taken at about 6:00 am on Day 3. This was after those huge water blisters formed to protect the skin. Y'know, the ones that rise pretty instantaneously? The same ones that moments after they formed, Michael stepped on my foot and squashed.

Water? Everywhere.
Me? Through the roof in convulsions of pain.

And the moral of this story is what, Boys & Girls?

That I? Should NEVER EVER COOK.

And BB? If you could, maybe, watch the children today so I could go to the doctor before I develop gangrene and have to have my foot amputated that would be great.

Oh... and can I borrow your car too? Cuz mine is in the shop. And I'm all out of Splenda.



(get well wishes & gifts are encouraged and will be appreciated.)


Just returned from the doctor... my face should not scar, but it really depends on my skin. Found out that I've been doing everything WRONG! At least concerning my face. Go f'in figure. Here, I've been putting Vitamin E on nonstop. Apparently that's a no-no. I've been keeping it too soft, when it needs to harden up to heal. After it does, THEN I can put on the Vitamin E. As for my foot - second degree burns. Perscription Polysporin, keep in covered, and don't let it get wet for a few days. Great. I've got to shower with my foot in a bag.

18 comments:

Barbara said...

Get dressed, I'm on my way. BTW, next time you have an accident may I suggest that you don't stop to ask Jeff to take pictures of you before you go to the Doctor. I can see him in the mirror. From my experience your face will be fine, but you can kiss your foot modelling career goodbye. No splenda for you, I'm not going to stop at a grocery store!!
BB

Anonymous said...

OMG! OMG! OMG!

That is all I can say and of course... OUCH!

Martine

I guess you are up for going to Wonderland any time soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. GOD! I wasn't expecting to see THAT!! Are you okay?!

This accident solidifies my "I can't cook" motto. Each time I do? I cut a finger, get a small (stupidly small compared to your's!) burn or screw everything up.

Oh. My. GOD!! Are you SURE you're okay?!

Anonymous said...

Uuuughhh. The pain!

If you need anything (like Splenda), lemme know...

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

OMG, I was totally laughing until you said it splattered on you!!!! I am so so sorry! I can imagine how badly that must have hurt. I'm glad you went to the doc though.

It took me like 12 tries to type "doc" just then. I kept typing "dic".

M said...

holy crap lady! I'm glad you're okay! oh it looks so painful! both face and foot! I'm so glad it didn't hit your eye or anything! Oh you poor poor foot! Hah!

And foot in a bag shower? I gotta admit...it's kinda funny.

And your flip flop tan feet were just DARLING! Gah!

This, my friend, teaches you not to eat nasty things like SQUID. Eww. THAT is where you went wrong.

I am so glad you're (mostly) okay. *shudders* this whole story could've been much much worse.

Anonymous said...

And your toes looked so pretty!!! I just can't believe your foot--Jeff said it was bad, but OMG!!! I get chills thinking about the pain you must have experienced when it first happened. Sure glad you went to the doctor's---that foot looks angry.
CA

my4kids said...

Yeah ouch that does look like it hurts! I haven't heard of taking care of burns the way your doc has you doing it though. When Izzak burned his whole leg he had to coat the whole thing with silvadine cream and keep it wrapped up and the doctor wanted him to shower but he wasn't even able to stand the water for several days....not pleasent with a pubescent 12 year old boy by the way. Izzak had 2nd and nearly 3rd degree burns over 1/2 his leg. Its healing well but you can see a color difference. I don't think the burns on your face are bad enough but hte one on your foot might leave a little discoloration.

Tonya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonya said...

HOLY SHIT Alissa... I am so glad you are alright and that looks so painful!! I hope it eases up real soon for you!! (((hugs)))

Beccy said...

OMG What an awful experience, that looks so sore.

3XMom said...

Oh my GOSH! That is awful. I had a similar experience when trying a Rachel Ray recipe involving searing steak..but managed to get out of the way. OWWWWW.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God.

Like Rachel, I was howling at your story. But first, I'd oohed and aaahed over your cute tootsies, and thought about how excited I was that I was getting a pedicure tomorrow. And then I saw the pics and my heart sank.

Oh you poor, poor thing. I am so sorry. Will you ever be able to eat calamari out again without feeling phantom pain?

You should email the Food Network Chef who ruined your pedicure and demand a new one. And a new frying pan.

I hear vodka works great for burns. Not to pour it on the burn of course, but drinking it will make you forget your foot is on fire.

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! Jeez must say it looks really quite painful. I feel for ya....all for a good piece of squid too.

I think you are a trooper for getting this far...your toes did look a little better though in the "before" photo.
All my sympathies
Lisa A

Emma in Canada said...

So I was all set to get pissed off at you for posting a pic of your feet because there is nothing I hate more than someone's feet (even if they are nice) but then you pulled the mother of all foot pictures with those last 2 and they look so painful I can't even get mad.

And what are you doing posting 2 posts in one day? Adn why did my reader not update you?

Mir said...

UGH! That looks SO painful!!! I steam burnt my arm when I was in high school. Rushed to the ER, and I now have a spot about the size of a dollar that won't tan, but otherwise, full recovery.

Hopefully you'll make one too!!

Julie said...

OMG Alissa! I'm just catching up on my reading now and you and your poor foot and face. I can't imagine how much that must have hurt! I hope you're feeling better and healing now!

Stacey said...

Holy CRAP. Ouch! That makes ME hurt. Since I'm so late coming around to read this, I'm hoping you are feeling lots better by now!!!