
Yes, I took an unannounced blogging hiatus. To echo Emma in Canada's words, I just lost my blogging mojo, if I ever had any to begin with. But, for the sake of record keeping for my children, and for the thrill of my ever-dwindling comments, I will plunge forward... or something.
Anyhow, on Sunday we celebrated Michael's first birthday. Can you believe it??? My little guy is already ONE! Well, almost. He'll actually be the big o-n-e on the 12th, but since that falls on a Thursday... yeah. So the par-tay was on the 8th. A Sunday. A day more people were able to come. go figure.

I decided that since it's July, we'll have it at a local park. A little one, but one that has sprinklers. Y'know, cuz lately it's been hotter than hell here. (I can only assume that one day I'll know just how hot hell actually is.) And it hasn't rained in like seven months, so a back-up rain plan wasn't something I was overly concerned about. Can you guess where this is going?
THUNDER STORMS. TERENCIAL DOWNPOURS. LIGHTENING.
The works.
If we were in a boat, we'd all be dead.
Go f'in figure.
The party was called for 2:00 pm. Why? Cuz I'm a big loser whose main concern was not having to serve lunch. Just party sandwiches, fruit, and cake. Easy stuff. (But since that didn't really seem like enough, also two types of cookies, and two types of chips.) I didn't really take into account that 2:00 was also the height of hotness for the day. Nor did I think that at 2:00 the park would be particularly crowded, and the one covered picnic table would probably be long since taken.
Okay, this is getting too long winded so I'll cut to the chase... It stopped raining. We went to the park, about 20 minutes before our guests were scheduled to arrive, so we could set up. Of course, my prized picnic table was taken, but you go with two small kids and a big bouquet of balloons, and just try to say "No, you CAN'T have the table to host your kids' party." Sure. So we got the table.
As soon as we were done setting up all the food onto platters, uh-huh, it started pouring once again. Our guests arrived. Still pouring. Everyone huddled under the little covered part by the picnic table. But hey... at least people were eating. I suppose it was kinda like most parties, where everyone ends up in the kitchen anyhow. Or at least I do. Never too far away from the food. Or the bar.
Fortunately it stopped raining once again, and good thinking, we brought towels along to dry off the park equipment so the kids could play. Not that they really cared. And not that we actually wiped off anything other than the swings.
All in all, I thought my party - errr, Michael's party - was a success. Even if Jeff thought it was too muggy and he'd have rather been indoors. ("If you can't say something nice...")
And now for the photo segment of this entry... Sorry.
My sister Lori with Baby Alexandria:

Lori's husband Bill, playing soccer with Julia & Zachary:

BFF's:

Can you tell he's a second child?

Jeff:

Zachary:

And, finally, the all-important Happy Birthday video clip. Bet you've never heard a lamer version of this song...
Happy Birthday MickNew! from doublea and Vimeo.
Should you still be awake, you can see still more photos of the big day by clicking HERE.
And if you're good boys & girls, maybe I'll even post present opening pictures later... Uh-huh.

13 comments:
All in all, sounds like a good party.
I'm with you and never stray to far from the food or the bar :)
It was a great party!! I loved the video!
BB
Sounds like a success, I love the cake.
That cake is too adorable! Thanks for the reminder that I need to plan Sophie's first. Not only do I have no blogging mojo, I have no party planning mojo.
My parties never seem to cooperate with me either something always happens, like the rain.
The cake is very cute!
And Happy Birthday Michael!!
Glad you got your mojo back! Looks like everyone still had a great time! Happy Birthday Michael!
Cute pictures! Happy birthday to your BABY...he gets to be a baby until he's 2, you know. :)
I wanted to let you know that I have added a link on my latest blog entry to that embarrassing vomit at the mall story...go have a look.
Happy Birthday Michael!!! Well, tomorrow!
Looks like he had a great party - minus the rain!
Love that cake! Happy belated b-day Michael!
Grandma & Grandpa just got back from their UK trip, and have spent all night looking at videos, pictures, and the blog. Happy Birthday Michael--it looks like you had a great party!!! Miss you.
O my gosh...Michael is too cute. Hate that I missed the party.
Can't believe MickNew is one already!! It blows my mind.
Happy Belated Birthday Michael!! Wow I cannot believe it has been a year already!!
Post a Comment