Sunday, January 14, 2007

Looking Back... Emma is 26 Months Old!

IMG_6208

First off, before you go and compliment me on how great this photo is I have to tell you (begrudgingly) that I didn't take it. Jeff did. I wish he'd pick up the camera more often, cuz when he does he's really quite good. I just don't want him to be better than me. I'm like that, y'know.

And now on to Emma. 26 months my ass. Closer to 27 at this point, but we'll go with it. I'm going to find it hard to explain to her when she's 18 and I give her this pseudo-baby-book, and every single month I'm late with her monthly recaps that I was just too busy. Like really. I don't work. My house isn't super clean (though Jeff wishes it was), dinner isn't a culinary experience say for maybe once a month (uh-huh), I'm ridiculously unorganized (though the bills do get paid on time), and yet I still can't manage to write a recap blip even ONCE A MONTH? Shouldn't be that tough. And yet...

Emma. She's brilliant. Destined to be an artist. Or a performer. Maybe a dancer. Perhaps a dentist... (forever the Jewish mother talking, eh?)

The other day I overheard her talking to Michael, peeked in the room to see her handing him one of his toys while he lay on his playmat. Then she turned her attention toward her Fisher Price Doodle Pro.

A: Whatcha doin', Em?
E: Drawing Michael.

Told you. Brilliant. Capital B.

IMG_6136

She has discovered the love of the Band-Aid - be it Dora, Princesses, or Bob the Builder. Anything but Elastoplast will do her just fine. And she loves putting them all over her body - every little scratch, hell every little nothing, requires a Band-Aid. NOW. Stickers won't do. Must be a Band-Aid. Of course not. Stickers wouldn't put me in the poor-house.

The other day (week? month?) I was trying to get her to eat something or another - what else is new? - and I said, "Yummy yummy in your tummy!" She looked at me as though I were retarded, and responded with, "No... Yummy yummy in my MOUTH." Like, duh.

She has sudden become totally independent - she must do everything herself - and gets PISSED if you do it for her without asking first. Like cutting food, opening wrappers, taking off her shoes, putting on her sweater... everything. You MUST permission first. Or else. Consider yourself warned.

She no longer allows me to read to her, now she insists on reading to me. It's a little problematic cuz, well, she can't read.

She loves helping fix things around the house with her tools - particularly her screwdriver. Be it the kitchen chair that's been broken for months, or the bedroom TV that just yesterday crashed down from the pivitelli in the ceiling. But just like a girl, her toolbox is a wicker basket!

Some of her favourite lines this month:

"Don't talk like that!" - This, whenever Jeff & I are arguing (not that we EVER do! - again, uh-huh), or whenever she gets in trouble (not like she EVER does.)

"Don't worry, we'll find it..." (whenever I make it known that I'm looking for something.)

"I kiss you better!" (self explanatory. unless you're an idiot.)

"I dude it!" or "Look what I dude!" (my personal favourite)

And most exciting of all... EMMA KNOWS HER FULL ALPHABET!!! Even ends the song with "Now I know my ABC's... Next time won't you sing with ... EMMA!"
(It took a few days but she finally understands that it's L, M, N, O, P and not EMILY.) WHOO-HOO!!!!

Big changes coming...

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I just found your blog from the Jenna Jenna Bo Benna blog! I am excited to check it out! Your kiddos are adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hoorah for Emma!! Grandma is so proud that you know you're ABC'S---Grandpa will be excited too. He's asleep right now, but I'll announce the "Good News" in the morning. Love You.

Anonymous said...

Wow - drawing a photo of Micheal?!! Very impressive! And yet, I thought you were going to show a photo of Mick-New with coloured pen all over his body! (I'm sure that will come soon enough...)

Emma in Canada said...

Hangs head in shame because 26 month old daughter does not even know abc let alone all 26 letters.

Adores daughter anyways, even if she is behind all other 2 year olds on the internet.

Blames self for daughter's failings.

Must go sing ABC over and over.

Miracles said...

TOO CUTE!! I love the "I dude this" gave me a good laugh. I can just picture it.

Barbara said...

Let the record show that I recognized her art work to be that of Michael, please refer to your "comments" in your Flickr.
A Bubbie knows.

BB

Anonymous said...

Aw.. she does sound very advanced. My daughter just discovered the band aid and she is almost 3. Sigh stickers were much easier and cheaper. I may have to go back to work to support this habit!