Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Great Way To Start The Summer

This is going to be a short entry as I am beyond exhaused... but unfortunately long enough to tell you about our shitty day.

This morning started off great - we had plans to go to the park with Michelle & Esther, then were going to head off to Walmart because their Little Tykes wagons are 50% off. Sounded like a plan. Then at the last minute, Michelle had to cancel due to a family emergency, so Emma & I hung out with Jeff who was home doing some banking. Why? Because - and get this - turns out the bank found some "fraudulent activity" going on in his account. They gave him all his transactions over the past couple months to go over, and looks like some asshole withdrew $1900 from his account last week! Bugger started off with $100, then $200, then got brave and took out $800, followed by an additional $800. All on the same day, two separate machines. Nice, huh? I just hope we're going to get it back.

Anyhow, back to the story. Next thing I knew it was 11:00 - too late to head out as Emma generally naps around noon. So we all just sat around chit-chatting, and having fun. Emma was in great spirits, running around the kitchen, living room, dining room... just one happy camper. Till 11:15.

All of a sudden she pulled at one of our centre-island bar stools, and OH MY GOD, there was a case of ice-tea sitting on top of it. The case landed squarely on her little foot. In moments, it was purple and about three times its usual size.

Off to Emergency we went.

SIX FUCKEN HOURS LATER we finally returned home. With a full leg cast. My baby broke her foot (along the top, beneath the toes). I'm devestated. And as soon as Emma figures out that she can't actually walk (or even crawl) anymore (cuz it's covering her knee), she will be too. She handled it like an absolute champ all day long - except for the x-ray part - that was horrible. They wouldn't let me in the room on account of my pregnancy, and it took Jeff & a doctor together to hold her down. Listening to the screams coming from outside the room broke my heart in a million pieces.

Granted, when it came time to put the cast on, I think I cried more than she did.

We have to go back next week to see a specialist, and the E.R. doctor is predicting in all likelihood the cast will remain on for 2-3 weeks.

In a freakily bizarre cooincindence, the first thing the doctor said to me, after waiting 2.5 hours to see him, was "Do you realize you were here EXACTLY ONE YEAR AGO TODAY?" That would be the hammer incident I spoke of in yesterday's post. Speaking of which, how apres-po was that entry?? Next year at this time we're going to bubble-wrap Emma for the day.

I'm in a complete panic wondering how my little baby is going to get through this... how is she going to handle not being able to climb up & down the stairs? How is she going to manage not being able to scratch an itch? How is she possibly going to sleep in any sort of comfortable position? How are we going to bathe her, what with not being able to submerge her ENTIRE LEG? I could go on & on & on...

And then there's ME. Can't forget about ME!! Did I mention I'm due to give birth to #2 in 6 weeks???!!! Ideal timing this is not.

The fact that we're in a ridiculous heat-wave right now & our A/C is isn't working isn't helping anyone's spirits. (It's getting fixed tomorrow morning...)

Thank God the cast is pink. She's happy about that. That, and this is a qualified "boo-boo".

For some reason, I'm having issues uploading pictures directly to my blog right now. That being the case, you can see some photos here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you still have an extra bed? I'll be spending the rest of the summer in your house, but I'll need the A/C fixed.
BB

Anonymous said...

Gee whiz....I am so sad. Poor little Emma...I can't stand it.

The picture just rips at you doesn't it. She is such the little trooper.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to buy her one pink legwarmer.. so she can match!

I hear she's been banging u in the head every time you try and change her diaper. I guess this is payback for all those other diaper changes!

- Auntie L.

Tonya said...

Ohh poor little Emma!! I'm so glad she was like a trooper though.. its us moms that suffer the most I think. It sux that it may have to stay on so long though!! and I know what you mean about the long long hospital waits.. arrrrg.. I hope she finds a way to get around with her new cast. She is such a cutie in the pics though! ((hugs))

Emma in Canada said...

She looks adorable in her cast. Why so high for a broken foot though? Those xrays are a terrible thing, especially chest ones.