Tuesday, January 24, 2006

That's Why They Say Art Is Subjective

So yesterday I took Emma to her weekly art class. Now, right now she's a little more left brain than right, so art really isn't her thing (yet). But we're still going religiously, just in case one day something pops in her head and we discover she's a little Picasso protege. You never know... stranger things have happened. What? I'm not so sure - will have to get back to you on that.

In any case, every week we make our rounds through the various art-type stations - yesterday was crayons, glue, and paint. Crayons lasted about 2 minutes. Glue, well at the glue station I made a very neat little snowman out of cotton balls & red construction paper while Emma sat on my lap and ate Cheerios.

And then we got to paint. We always dress down for art because of the paint table. It's usually very messy. Yesterday, in keeping with saving the best for last (something I do for just about every aspect of my life), we made our way to the table... Lots of white paper... and then, looking around, I asked for the paint.

T: It's right there on the table.
A: Isn't that glue?
T: No, it's paint.
A: It's all white.
T: Yes, today it's all white.
A: Is there any different coloured paper we can use?
T: No, this is special paper for the paint.
A: But it's white too...
T: Yes, it's wihte too.

Umm... I know this is a cheapo city-run class, but C'MON!!! White paint on white paper???!!!! Am I the only one missing something here? I'm calling BULLSHIT.

No comments: