Friday, November 11, 2005

What's In A Name?

If you ask me, everything. Particularly if you're a restauranteur. Case in point - a new eatery opened up near my house. Actually, it's an old eatery that changed it's name. And with that, I can only assume the menu is different too. In its past life it was a Friendly Greek.
Then for a couple weeks, the big mediterranean seascape sign was removed, and I anxiously waited to see what was going to fill its place. And then it came.

Now let me first tell you where in Toronto I live. Not downtown, not midtown, more like uptown - but not so up that we're in the suburbs. We're still in the cooler 416 area code. It's a thing here - as soon as you go 905 you've officially 'given in'. Or 'given up'. At least that's my opinion. And many other 416-ers as well. Likely the 905'ers would disagree. To each their own. However, as the city goes farther & farther north, our uptown area is quickly becoming more like midtown. Hell, we even have homeless people and crime here now. Just sit back & watch the property values soar.

Back to my story. So we live right off Yonge Street - the longest street in Canada, and the most main of all main streets in Toronto. It's as city as city can be. That said, just what prey tell is the name of our new neighbourhood jaunt? None other than The Boardwalk Cafe. HELLO??? Boardwalk??? Where?? I'd really like to know cuz I must have missed it.

Last time I checked, a boardwalk was defined as:
1 : a walk constructed of planking
2 : a walk constructed along a beach

Maybe the planking is stuck between one of the millions of condos that have sprung up out of nowhere? Maybe it got buried beneath tons of concrete, gravel and asphalt used to make the new roads after all the older homes were torn down?

Whatever the case, what an utterly stupid name for an inner-city restaurant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the Friendly Greek at Yonge and Steeles gone? The one in the 905 area? If so, good. The fries were ALWAYS cold and they once cheated me on my souvilka stick, 3 pieces instead of 4!!! What kind of food is on the menu at the boardwalk? Anything for Emma? I love when she waves her hand over her food, maybe she's trying to make it disapear and not trying to cool it off!
Bubie B.

Anonymous said...

Would you mind telling me how the food is at this new restaurant? Seeing as how it's still a "new" restaurant and it's within walking distance.

- LBK (the newly married "Mrs Koko")