That's my new bands name. Okay fine,.. but that would be its name if I did have a band and lived in Thornhill.
I finally went to my Pilates class at Thornhill Community Centre. 2XA & The Bubs indeed!! I kept expecting to see Dorothy saunter through the double doors to the "upper lounge" where we were p-latt-a-ing. Or Judy (Wilson). I don't know why.
First, the "upper lounge". I was expecting, well, a lounge. At least some industrial-grade carpet. Maybe a sofa or TV. Okay, howabout a stereo system? Speakers? After walking upstairs (hence "upper") all I could find was a large, empty room that looked over two huge skating rinks on either side (that was neat - saw partners' figure skating practices). It had that sort of old dirty gym floor thing going on, y'know, the kind that hasn't been properly cleaned in years. Or maybe even ever.
Walking back & forth, there wasn't a soul in sight... then out came Shuggy.
A: Excuse me, do you happen to know where the "upper lounge" is?
S: Ha! This is it. Pilates? Yeah, my first time I asked for the "studio"!
A: Guess there isn't a change room or refreshment area, huh?
S: Let me bring you down to the huge bin of old stinky mats we work out on. It's quite disgusting, actually. You probably won't want to touch any of them...
Right away I knew I liked Shuggy.
She introduced me to Phyllis. Suddenly I was part of a group.
And then Pilates started. The ghetoblaster played soft ocean sounds. There were about 20 of us, 19 women, 1 man. He was hot. I was the youngest by about 20 years.
Pilates for seniors is more like an hour of deep meditation rather than a hard-core (fine, soft-core) workout. Everyone (except me) brought towels to wipe the sweat off their brows. I felt so nimble & spry. That's surely never happened in my life before.
I'm supposed to go back tomorrow but can't make it because my babysitter is sick with the cold Emma gave her. Sorry about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment