Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Random Thoughts About Victoria

The seafood is amazing. But I didn't need to tell you that.

The milk sucks. Huh? Yes, you heard right. I can't find Natral or Lactancia Pur Filtered ANYWHERE. Been to three grocery stores, and all they seem to sell is Nature's Best & Island Farms. It tastes funny. And no, it's not expired.

Strangely enough, their English Muffins are fantastic! Much different than those in Toronto. They're thick & fluffy here.

The selection of toppings offered by the hot dog vendors is incredibly lame. No choice of four different relishes, no hot peppers, no spray cheese, not even any pickles. BUT (and this is a big but)... The hot dog vendors offer a choice of white or whole wheat buns. And the vendors don't all look like homeless people either. Their carts are pretty snazzy lookin' too.

It's really pretty here & people are very friendly. Everyone says hello. To cross the street, there are just these triple lines in the road - no big crosswalk production that nobody pays attention to anyhow. People here just see you and stop.

An example of just how nice people here are... The other day I was doing my grocery shopping (you know I've been here awhile when I know the aisles in the supermarkets!) & on leaving the store, I wheeled my cart to the line of carts to get my $0.25 refund. I took Emma out of the front, & placed my bags on the ground while jamming my buggy into the others. This woman sees me, asks how I'm going to manage holding Emma & the bags. I tell her I'll be just fine. Get this... She picks up my bags, yes PICKS UP MY BAGS, and says, "Where are you parked?" And walked my bags over to the car & loaded them in the trunk! I felt so strange not tipping her.

When you're attempting to take a photo in Victoria, and passerbys on the street take notice, they will actually STOP in their tracks & let you snap your shot. And should you be shooting a video, they will DUCK DOWN to pass you!!! How great is that?! Gee, I miss Toronto so much.

They think they know how to make a Montreal bagel. HA!!!! It's like playing "broken telephone" with the bagel recipe. It's not a Montreal bagel. It's not even a good bagel going by the name of Montreal.

Island Farms Vanilla Plus Frozen Yogurt with Raspberry Swirl. If you could get this in Toronto, I would weigh 300 lbs. You think I'm kidding, but I have finished an entire tub (the family size) BY MYSELF in 3 days.

They look like Kevin & Liza... they're not Kevin & Liza... They look like Kevin & Liza... they're not Kevin & Liza... They look like Kevin & Liza... they're not Kevin & Liza... They look like Kevin & Liza... they're not Kevin & Liza... Have no idea what I'm talking about? Then you haven't seen the West Coast version of Breakfast Television.

And some of Emma's favourite things discovered during her visit:

1) Mary Catherine's headboard. She could hold herself up against that headboard for hours. I don't let her though cuz I'm mean.

2) The phone on Mary Catherine's night stand. Here I proved to not be so mean when I unplugged it, set it on the floor and let her have her way with it. And because I did this, the thrill of the phone only lasted about three days. Or, you could look at it like, "Holy shit... she was amused by a disconnected phone for THREE WHOLE DAYS?! How lucky are you?!" Alas, I look at it the first way cuz my world is a glass-half-empty one.

3) The wallpaper on Mary Catherine's bedroom wall. If I would let her, she would scratch it right off the walls. Back to being a mean mother...

No comments: