
Emma & I got away. Jeff had to stay in the city & work. And, quite frankly, he wasn't invited - it was a girl thing. Emma & I escaped for a mid-week girls long weekend in Muskoka thanks to Tegan & Connie Taylor and their beautiful cottage. And let me tell you, it was divine! It was the first time Emma had any lengthy interaction with anyone her age (she's 5 weeks older than T) and it was just great to watch. And because I'm an insane person with a camera, a person that should not be allowed to own, let alone use a camera, all three of you can witness the interaction for yourselves here.
So many firsts happened this weekend. For Emma that is, not so much for me. But I had a terrific time nonetheless.
First off, she got her first real playmate! Sure, she hangs out with Zachary & Hunter, but they're older. And they're boys. And boys are not girls. Yeah, there's Julia, but she rarely sees her. As for Shayne... well they had fun that one afternoon but we haven't seen her since. (Speaking of Shayne, I do owe Brenda a call... must remember to do that this week.) This time was different. This was a three-day, two-night sleepover par-tay. One that included breakfast, lunch, dinner, beer and Barney. Could life have been any better? It sure didn't hurt that T's high-chair faces the woods, and while dining Emma got to watch woodpeckers pecking, hummingbirds humming & chipmunks chipping!
It was very cool to watch the change in Tegan's demeanour over the course of our visit. Day 1 was spent trying to figure out just who in the hell this skinny new kid was, and why was she playing with all of her toys. Emma, on the other hand, was just delighted to be out of the smog infested city, happy to breathe clean air, and, this goes without saying, but a house - ah-hem, cottage - full of all new toys didn't hurt either. Did I mention that T's swing sits facing the lake, the window open, as a fresh warm summer breeze floats inside, gently sweeping over E's face? Oh yeah... we couldn't wait to go home.
By Day 2, T warmed up to Emma. I think she even liked her! They actually played together!!! It was freaken adorable!!
But nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, was as cute as this! Shame it didn't last too long. It seems Emma prefers bathing solo. However, by this time T had warmed up to her new buddy & was more than happy to share her sink. Oh well... Like mother, like daughter. I prefer bathing solo too. It's just one of those things... no one looks good naked in a sink.
And then there was the boat ride! Can't do Muskoka without the mandatory boat ride, heaven forbid. We investigated, and it appears that the smallest life jacket available starts at 20 lbs. E only weighs in at 13.8 right now, so we borrowed Hunter's. (Thank you, Hunter!) Did I mention that T weighs in at 18.6 - apparently this minimum 20 lb life jacket is just a suggestion. Shortly after these photos were taken, both girls fell fast asleep.
What captured Emma's attention more than anything else? This bumper. Okay, truth be told, it was merely a runner up to the ceiling fans, but I forgot to take a picture of those.
And because we left the cottage just a day before Emma's 8-month birthday, we decided to celebrate with a little something special...
Connie, Mark & Tegan - Thank you again - we had a blast!!

No comments:
Post a Comment