Thursday, July 21, 2005

All Frills All The Time


I'm bummed. Completely & totally bummed. My No-Frills store closed its doors for the last time today. It's the end of an era. Okay, I'm being a bit dramatic... it was a shit-hole. But a very reasonably priced shit-hole. And it was directly across the street from my house. There is nothing as convenient as having a full grocery store right across the street... At any time I could so easily run out of any ingredient (okay, not any ingredient, there were very few frills after all) and just boot across the street before the oven would ding & my garnish would be in my bright yellow bag, ready to be put on the plate. And I didn't even mind that the bag cost me a nickel. They were much thicker, and much bigger than the flimsy freebie bags over at Dominion, my next closest full-frill grocery store. It is open 24 hours/day. That's a bonus. They do have rotessarie chicken. That's nice, too. And cheeses a'plenty. No complaints there. And don't get me wrong... it's really nice to have people bag my groceries for me! No squished buns at Dominion. But the sky-high prices!!! I mean, I always shop there for certain things, of course. They have really good turkey bacon. And cranberry-covered goat cheese. Mmmm... Tim Horton's coffee. Well, sure.. that's a gimme. But canned foods? Are you crazy??!! Milk? I think not. What about Crystal Light?! $3.50 versus $2.10! May not seem like a big deal to you, but over here at the Abray household, I think we're keeping those glorious Raspberry Ice producers in business. We drink VATS of the stuff. And I have a permanent red smile to prove it. I am going to put us in the poor house paying full fare for low-cal flavoured drink crystals. I sure hope Emma doesn't need too much in the way of orthadontia work.

No comments: