I can't believe it's been SEVEN MONTHS since I went into the hospital, stunned and surprised that my water broke sixteen days ahead of schedule, minding my own business, watching the oh-so-cheesy "Still Standing" and absolutely appalled that I hadn't had time to wax or have a pedicure. Shame that both appointments were booked for the following week.
Of course, I remembered to call Goodwill & leave them a message to cancel the scheduled pick-up for the following morning. How calm am I??!!
Looking back on Emma's 6th month of life, there has been tons to report on... particularly her fondness for shoving EVERYTHING in her mouth. Here is a list of some favourites:
-her feet, especially her big toes!
-the spiral telephone cord
-zippers (who knew - they are delicious!)
-beer bottles (and if not available, a good water bottle will suffice)
-tags - yes tags from all her animals, clothing, anything at all - Emma will ignore the object & shoot straight for the tag. the longer the better
-Jeff's Rolex - hey, the girl has taste!
What really pisses Emma off is when you talk while she's eating. She is so focussed that if she hears you speak (even if you whisper), she'll yank her little head off my boob and just glare at you till you're quiet. It's so funny - sometimes we speak just to watch her get irritated. Bad parents.
So cool is our little girl the morning routine looks something like this... We're in bed, y'know downtown, while Emma is wayyy uptown in suburbia, and we'll hear her talking to herself over the monitor. We hail a cab and make our way to her place, only to find her hanging out in the corner of her crib, eyes wide open, listening to jazz and thinking about the day ahead of her. We say good morning ("good morning emma, good morning emma, HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO!"), and she looks up with the biggest, brightest smile you'll ever see - legs going wild, slamming on her gold seal mattress, arms held high just waiting to be picked up, to start the day with a hug & a love you too. I can't think of a better way to start any day, ever.
She can now sit up all by herself! She can roll over all by herself - BOTH WAYS! And while she is not able to crawl yet, she certainly is trying. Well, kind of. Still doesn't quite get how to use all four of those pesty limbs in tandom to create MOVEMENT. More accurately, Emma lies on her stomach and flaps her legs & arms wildly, kind of like a retarded butterfly stroke, but doesn't really move anywhere... Then gets pissed off and frustrated and downright angry. Then mommy comes to the rescue and I pretty much give her whatever it is she wants. I know, I know, I don't want to hear it so please don't bother. I will say that if it's anything like the sitting development, she can be walking tomorrow. For the record, Bubbie Barbara gives her two weeks to be a certified crawler.
The latest development is the spitting. Yes spitting. Jeff calls this doing the raspberry. (??)Emma has learned how to purse her lips really tight, gather a wad of saliva, and blow spit bubbles. She can do this all day long. Funny as it is, we're all getting very wet.
Day by day my little Emma is no longer a baby. Much as I miss her, I am so enjoying learning all about the person she is becoming. As Dooce once wrote, and I think I'm paraphrasing here, my entire soul is wrapped up in the palm of Emma's hand.


No comments:
Post a Comment