Saturday, April 30, 2005

Shrimp... The Other White Meat


IMG_2710 bw
Originally uploaded by 2XA.
This week we've been visiting with Grandma & Grandpa in Mobile, Alabama... I wish I could say it was Emma's first road trip, and I guess I could, but it would be a lie. And as we know, much as I try, I suck at lying. But that's another blog... However, this was her first FUN road trip - what with the first being a trip to Windsor to attend a funeral. Not surprising, it's been smooth sailing. (Granted, we haven't driven home yet..) I say not surprising only because our daughter is perfect. No kidding... she really is. The LB has driven through Windsor, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee (we even stayed overnight in Nashville - "Dear Hampton..." Nevermind, in Nashville we stayed at the Marriott), before arriving in Alabama.

Once again, she experienced a whole whack of firsts on this trip, including seeing her own shadow! (Sadly, I missed that one - she was out for a walk with Grandpa when the black & white LB appeared on the driveway). She saw the devistation left by Hurrican Ivan, and as witnessed by her mood that afternoon, was quite bothered by it.

Emma seemed to enjoy listening to Grandpa George play the piano while sitting on his knee, and swinging on the swing in the warm April sun (remember - we're not in Toronto - the sun is warm here!).

Her barefeet touched fresh cut grass for the first time (that was on Grandpa's oh-so-lush lawn). This was also the first time her bare skin felt a warm breeze... actually, more like a HOT breeze! It's over 80 degrees here! We drove with all four windows open - and the sunroof too! She seemed to enjoy that... but then, really, what do we know?! She didn't indicate otherwise. And, big excitement - we took her on a day trip to the beach! (Orange Beach, and in case you're wondering, no - it's not orange, but white actually.) Not only did she have her feet in the sand, her dad even took her into the ocean! I, big surprise, was busy photographing the whole event. Once again, I don't think there is any evidence of me on this trip. Hey Emma... I was there!
Change in plans...We were supposed to head to New Orleans tomorrow, but if looks as though that isn't going to happen. Jeff has to go back into the office for Monday - hopefully to fire some schmoo who sounds like a real turd. Disappointed as I am, the reality is New Orleans with a 6 month old would be challenging - only half a Hurricane, rather than 3 & the floor. Guess it means we'll have to come back sooner...

On the plus side, we've revamped and are going to detour to Atlanta tomorrow to visit with Lisa, and stay with her Saturday night, to head back home Sunday, likely to arrive Monday. Much as I enjoy a good road trip, I do not feel the need to make the best time possible. Geez, last time we did this, it took us a full week to arrive in Mobile. Detours are fun! Detours are how I saw Graceland! Note to Emma - should you ever decide to visit Graceland when in Memphis (granted, if you're in Memphis it will likely be on a pilgrimage to see Justin Timberlake's childhood home), just know that Elvis' plane smells.

No comments: